MSU to search for "inches" against Wildcats

Junior quarterback Damion Terry (6) reacts to a fumbled ball during the game against Brigham Young University on Oct. 8, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The fumbled
Junior quarterback Damion Terry (6) reacts to a fumbled ball during the game against Brigham Young University on Oct. 8, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The fumbled —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

For the last nine seasons, except 2012, the Spartans have taken advantage of the game’s highest cliche — inches.

If the games are truly made up of inches, MSU has unearthed a well of them throughout the last nine years. But after prolonged wealth behind those inches, MSU’s supply is in need of a reimbursement.

“I’ve sat in here for nine years and said, ‘You’ve got to find the inches,’” head coach Mark Dantonio said Tuesday at his weekly press conference. “We’ve lost by inches or won by inches. That’s this type of game, that’s the game of football.”

So far the game of football this season has left MSU at a 2-3 record for the first time since 2009, with a sputtering offense, a mid season quarterback battle and a defense hobbled by injury, unsure of its identity.

After starting the season as the number one guy, fifth-year senior quarterback Tyler O’Connor was yanked last Saturday against BYU in the fourth quarter in favor of junior Damion Terry.

The quarterback controversy Dantonio wanted to avoid, however, has been opened into a three-man skirmish as redshirt-freshman Brian Lewerke has inserted himself into the conversation.

O’Connor has languished behind interceptions and been unable to spark the team to move down field. Dantonio called for Terry to be more consistent, and he said it would be unfair to keep Lewerke out of the chance to play his way into the starting role.

“Pure and simple, they have to demonstrate in practice exactly what they’re going to do,” Dantonio said. “As difficult as that is to say, that’s where we’re at because I think the case can be made for all three of those guys. We may use two, we may use one. I don’t think we’ll use three, but who knows.”

The offensive line has taken heat as well. MSU’s ground game for years has been predicated on getting into third-and-short situations and converting with a stout running back. After losing two All-Americans, the young line has shifted around.

Junior Brian Allen has switched to center, fifth-year senior Kodi Kieler moved to left tackle from center and redshirt-freshman Tyler Higby has taken over for David Beedle at left guard.

Even more so, the offensive line has allowed 11 sacks on MSU quarterbacks. It’s a result of inadequate footwork and missed assignments — all the inches MSU rarely worried about the last few seasons.

“Comes down to all five guys doing their job,” Allen said. “Last week (it was) four guys and one guy here, it’s always just one guy, not the same guy, but we’re just bouncing around. All five guys need to do their job at once.”

The running backs have been locked in their own battle as well. None of the three primary backs of last season — LJ Scott, Gerald Holmes and Madre London — have caused any separation, though Holmes and Scott have seen the majority of carries thus far in the 2016 season.

On Saturday against Northwestern, MSU will have the chance convert plays into inches.

“Just keep staying positive,” Holmes said about being able to create inches. “Try to be the guy whose role on this team is to make plays wherever I’m at, whether it’s special teams or in the backfield.”

Holmes said going forward the focus will need to be on production.

“The main thing now is about making plays and being a playmaker,” Holmes said. “You come here to make plays.”

Making plays has been the difference so far. MSU has lingered on busting out big plays but mistakes have curtailed their chances and created unfamiliar losing territory.

On Saturday against Northwestern, they’ll have the chance convert plays into inches.

Share and discuss “MSU to search for "inches" against Wildcats” on social media.