MSU alumnus Tim City revives his talk show to discuss Black Lives Matter

<p>The revived Late Night with Tim City talk show&nbsp;at Brody Grotto on Oct. 13, 2016.</p>

The revived Late Night with Tim City talk show at Brody Grotto on Oct. 13, 2016.

Photo by McKenna Ross | The State News

After months of nationwide protests in support of the Black Lives Matter movement, 2012 MSU alumnus Tim City brought back his old talk show, Late Night with Tim City, to have a meaningful discussion on the controversy surrounding race relations instead of a traditional protest.

Dozens came to the show at the Brody Hall grotto Thursday night. The event was a revival of the talk show City hosted on campus in 2011.

City said the talk show setup has always been the same: he brings multiple people in from each side of a controversial topic and talks to each personally, instead of as a panel. This allows everyone’s opinions to be explained and more to be discussed.

The goal is to open a dialogue.

“I always feel like the best way to make progress is to hear everybody out,” City said. 

Divisiveness might not have to be a given when discussing race relations.

City said that he thinks with this topic in particular, people may have the same message, but under their opposite opinions.

Four guests were invited to speak. City had a conversation with each to discuss their opinions and then opened the floor to questions.

Theatre senior Annetta Pinder, an African-American, said the term All Lives Matter better fits the Black Lives Matter movement's goal.

“The fact (is) black people are the main ethnic group that are targeted, but there is also other ethnicities that go through the same thing,” Pinder said. “It doesn’t feel right going to an Asian mother or an Indian mother asking her to support Black Lives Matter and not saying it’s also for Asians and Indians. Her son has been through the same thing that our black sons have been through.”

Human biology senior Jon Bradshaw spoke in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. Bradshaw, who is white, said he supports the cause because he sees a disparity in the way minorities and white people are treated by law enforcement.

When the floor opened, many audience members asked him about the movement from his outside perspective.

“I’ve never been to one of these before so that helps,” Bradshaw said when asked about how he gets involved in the movement. "I think making myself more open.”

Bradshaw said he also gets involved by supporting peaceful protesters, such as San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

City said the main goal of the night was to encourage change.

“Art and progress happens when you have two different sides,” City said. “I want people to be able to say, ‘I heard another person’s perspective.’ That way it will promote change. Being in a room with like minded individuals all the time isn’t the best way to promote change.”

Share and discuss “MSU alumnus Tim City revives his talk show to discuss Black Lives Matter” on social media.