History of The Rock, 143 years of a Spartan Tradition

<p>Men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo signs the Rock on Farm Lane on April 9, 2014, in remembrance of Lacey Holsworth at her memorial. Holsworth was a good friend of senior forward Adreian Payne and passed away April 8 after a battle with cancer. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Men's basketball head coach Tom Izzo signs the Rock on Farm Lane on April 9, 2014, in remembrance of Lacey Holsworth at her memorial. Holsworth was a good friend of senior forward Adreian Payne and passed away April 8 after a battle with cancer. Erin Hampton/The State News

Photo by Erin Hampton | The State News

MSU’s first recognized senior class gift, in 1873, was “The Rock.” The Rock is a 18,000-year-old pudding stone that was left behind from a glacier. It is older than the Sparty Statue and Beaumont Tower, according to the On the Banks of the Red Cedar’s website.

It was dug up by students during the summer of 1873 and hauled to its original home, where the Beaumont Tower would later be built with help from a team of oxen. The stone, as it was originally called, was dedicated on May 30, 1873.

The tradition to hold events at the Rock got off to a late start. It wasn’t until 1978 when the senior class council began the first fundraising drive at the Rock, according to an article found in the MSU University Archives and Historical Collections.

In September of 1985, the Rock was removed from the Beaumont Tower because of vandalism to trees surrounding the landmark and was placed in its current location on Farm Lane next to the Auditorium.

Painting the Rock is a tradition on campus today. However, in 1977 it was not a popular trend and actually frowned upon by MSU alumni.

Students in 1977 painted the Rock with controversial graffiti, which led administration to move the monument next to the Department of Public Safety building, according to the On the Banks of the Red Cedar website.

Then-ASMSU President Kent Barry sent a letter to then-MSU President Clifton Wharton and asked him to move the Rock back to its original spot.

“The issue is not whether The Rock should or shouldn’t be painted but that they moved a tradition without consulting anyone,” Barry said in the letter, according to an article by David Janseen found in the MSU Archives and Historical Collections.

A university official said the school wanted to save the $500 it cost to sandblast the rock. However, after students heard news their “pet rock” was being moved, a massive student protest flooded MSU campus.

The administration eased up and the Rock went back the same day, at a cost of approximately $500, according to the article by Janseen.

For an April Fool’s Day joke, the mock rock was created by the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, according to the article by Janseen.

In 1986, students passed what they thought was the Rock by the Beaumont Tower labeled, “TKE #1 Bring Back Tradition.”

MSU students quickly noticed it was a carefully crafted replica of the Rock made by paper mache.

TKE created the joke to symbolize the tradition of their fraternity, according to the article.

Lacey Holsworth was the heart of MSU basketball and former MSU basketball player Adreian Payne’s biggest fan.

Also known as “Princess Lacey,” she was inspirational to Spartan’s across the globe and created an everlasting bond with the MSU basketball team.

On April 8, 2014, the 8-year-old MSU fan died from a rare form of cancer. Following the loss, the MSU community and basketball team came together to paint the Rock for Princess Lacey. The Rock was left untouched for a week.

On the one-year anniversary of Holsworth’s death, the MSU community came together to honor her death by painting the Rock once again.

The Rock has given a voice to MSU students for decades, to express their emotions simply by painting a message on a stone. Though in 1977 it was believed the Rock would surely not be a lasting tradition, but 39 years later, the tradition lives.

Share and discuss “History of The Rock, 143 years of a Spartan Tradition” on social media.