Broad Museum hosts annual candlelight vigil for domestic violence awareness

A woman bows her head in a moment of silence during a vigil on Oct. 21, 2016 at the Broad Art Museum. The purpose of the candlelight vigil was to honor survivors and individuals who have lost their life due to domestic violence.
A woman bows her head in a moment of silence during a vigil on Oct. 21, 2016 at the Broad Art Museum. The purpose of the candlelight vigil was to honor survivors and individuals who have lost their life due to domestic violence. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

An annual candlelight vigil for domestic violence awareness month took place on Friday evening at the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum.

The purpose of the vigil was to honor those who have lost their lives to domestic violence, offer support to survivors of domestic violence and raise awareness in the community. 

The event included two speakers from the Survivors Speakers Bureau, reading off the names and ages of Michigan domestic violence homicide victims, lighting candles and a reading of the poem “Remember my Name” by Kimberly A. Collins.

“I feel that it is important to have a space for people to come together to honor survivors of domestic violence and to remember those who have lost their lives due to violence in their relationships,” Volunteer and Advocacy Coordinator for MSU Safe Place Alyssa Baumann said.

Janis Green was one of the people from the Survivors Speakers Bureau who spoke about domestic violence she experienced in her home from her ex-husband. Green said he had loaded guns in their home and on his person and also has narcissistic personality disorder. 

Her ex-husband was also a former prison guard.

“He knew pressure points, he said, that he could use, and he would demonstrate them on me,” Green said. “He would do this jokingly, but I now know it was to show me that he was in charge and that with just one move, my life would be in danger.”

The candlelight ceremony included lighting the candles of those who came to the domestic violence vigil. Eleven candles were lit for all of the different groups who are affected by domestic violence, including survivors, law enforcement officers, children who witness it and those who have lost their lives to domestic violence.

“Through Domestic Violence Awareness Month, we as a community come together to say that this is not a private matter," Program Coordinator of Capital Area Response Effort Kathleen Miller said. "This is a crime and this is not OK. We will not tolerate this in the MSU community or the greater community. We are here to support survivors and to call out domestic violence when we see it.”

The vigil was brought through a collaboration between End Violent EncountersCapital Area Response EffortMSU Safe Place, the Lansing Police DepartmentSIREN/Eaton Shelter and the Women’s Center of Greater Lansing. These contributors offer resources, help or support for people experiencing domestic violence or who are survivors.

“When you look at someone and think they have it all together, look closer — Don’t be surprised if they are living a life of fear every day," Green said. "If you think that someone wants to talk, please listen, offer support and help them to a safe place and to a life worth living.”

Share and discuss “Broad Museum hosts annual candlelight vigil for domestic violence awareness ” on social media.