Cher stumps for Hillary at the Union

From left, sociology senior Katrina Groeller and psychology senior Christina Rissman pose for a photo on Sept. 22, 2016 in the Union. Chelsea Clinton had just given a speech on the same stage.
From left, sociology senior Katrina Groeller and psychology senior Christina Rissman pose for a photo on Sept. 22, 2016 in the Union. Chelsea Clinton had just given a speech on the same stage. —
Photo by Emilia McConnell | The State News

Pop musician Cher spoke at the Union Ballroom Monday in support of Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton's presidential bid.

Cher is currently traveling across the country to speak and raise funds on Clinton's behalf.

Cher was preceded by a panel of three women: doctoral student Apryl Pooley, 8th Congressional District candidate Suzanna Shkreli and Ingham County Prosecutor Gretchen Whitmer.

Shkreli emphasized the importance of active campaigning to her and Clinton’s electoral efforts.

“We can’t sit back … we've got to make sure that we’re electing someone who is tough enough, who has the spine to stand up and to fight, Shkreli said. “And we do that by getting out the vote."

Whitmer introduced Cher, reciting a list of the singer’s accomplishments and accolades, including three Golden Globes, an Emmy, an Academy Award and a Grammy. 

“But now I have the coolest task that I’ve been given in this (election) cycle, and that’s to introduce a woman who needs no introduction,” Whitmer said.

Cher appealed to millennials right away and continued to applaud them throughout her speech, praising their compassion and acceptance of those who are different than them.

“I want people to realize that everyone is worthwhile, no matter what they do, no matter who they are, no matter what they look like, it’s humanity that’s important," Cher said. "I believe that you guys are the ones that have got to bring that humanity forward because you don’t see the differences, you accept people for who they are.”

Cher spoke throughout her speech about Clinton and what the idea of a female president means to her.

“As women, we have gone through so much, so the idea of having a woman president is just, it’s (a long time) coming and it’s a great thing,” Cher said. “It’s not just a great idea because of Hillary, it’s a great idea because of our daughters being able to realize that there is a ceiling that has been broken through and that any woman can be president.”

Cher also attacked Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, blasting him for his feuds with Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and the parents of the late Capt. Humayun Khan.

However, Cher lamented the way the election has divided the country, and said Democrats must reach out to Trump’s supporters and do what they have to do to make them feel included and not forgotten.

“I know that these people are suffering,” Cher said. “A majority of his people (Trump supporters), I think they’re people who might’ve lost their homes, they might’ve lost their jobs, they might’ve lost their 401Ks if they ever had it, and they feel dejected, they feel like no one’s listening, and I believe we have to fold these people into a big tent, and show them that we’re not discounting of them.”

Cher acknowledged that many people don’t like Clinton, but said she believes the future Clinton could offer as president is better for the people than Trump’s.

“I know she’s not perfect, but I like her,” Cher said. “I know that she has higher angels, and I believe that with Elizabeth Warren and Bernie (Sanders) kicking her ass, (she can) find those higher angels have wings.”

Share and discuss “Cher stumps for Hillary at the Union” on social media.