Student protesters march down Grand River, demand support from MSU officials

Student protesters marched through Grand River Avenue and Farm Lane Tuesday evening, demanding that key officials at MSU announce their support for the Movement for Black Lives.

The protest was put on by Which Side Are You On?

Chants of “we demand that you stand, silence is violence” and “being neutral is a lie, we demand you take a side” characterized the group’s desires: statements from MSU president Lou Anna K. Simon, football coach Mark Dantonio and basketball coach Tom Izzo declaring their support for the "Movement for Black Lives".

A written statement handed out by group members demands the officials announce their position on the front page of msu.edu, in a campus-wide email to students and faculty and via a press release.

“It’ll help create solidarity,” business sophomore Jessica Gardiner said. “I think they can make a big impact by showing that they support the movement.”

Gardiner carried a sign declaring “no justice, no peace” as she marched.

“I believe that all lives will not matter until black lives do matter,” Gardiner said.

Students gathered at MSU Union before beginning their march on Grand River Avenue, with protesters entering the street and slowing traffic as they chanted. Police vehicles quickly advanced to the front of traffic, ensuring no one was hurt. Marketing senior Evan Coleman took on a leadership role in the march, leading chants with a megaphone and declaring the group’s intentions to passersby.

“The purpose of this was to galvanize the community, and force upon the administration that they can no longer remain unbiased and nonpartisan to political, social issues,” Coleman, also a field, internal education and financial coordinator for Michigan State Young Democratic Socialists, said.

The students turned into Farm Lane, ending their march when they reached Hannah Administration Building. Coleman made a statement to the MSU administration on the steps.

“As long as you remain silent, you too are murderers and criminals,” Coleman said. “If you do not release a statement by Friday at 5 p.m., we will bestow upon you the side of the oppressor indefinitely. Lou Anna K. Simon, Mark Dantonio and Tom Izzo, we demand to know: what side are you on?”

Coleman said the group’s next actions, should their demands be refused, will be determined by the opinions of his fellow protesters.

However, Coleman said their demands are met inevitably by their own nature.

“One way or another they will make a statement, even if they won’t publicly make a statement, they’ve made a decision,” Coleman said.

Anthropology junior Breanna Escamilla played a part in planning the protest.

“Today’s primary motivation was to begin socially mobilizing students across campus in being cognizant of the racial tensions that are being maintained and have been reaching this point,” Escamilla said.

Escamilla said students will be occupying tomorrow’s ASMSU general assembly meeting, and asked that students come stand with them at a town hall for Latinx students, held 8 p.m. Thursday at Erickson Kiva.

“We make these demands because, if nothing else, we demand our humanity,” Escamilla said. “You either believe that people have worth, or you do not.”

Share and discuss “Student protesters march down Grand River, demand support from MSU officials” on social media.