ASMSU elects new Vice President for Academic Affairs

According to the election packet for the vice president of academic affairs found on ASMSU’s website, Shavrnoch’s new roles will include advancing ASMSU’s involvement in academic affairs, appointing and assisting representatives to University Council and Academic Governance committees and helping advise the ASMSU president on matters of academic affairs.

The position, previously held by neuroscience junior Tyler Orlando, became vacant when Orlando resigned because of medical issues.

Shavrnoch brings experience from three years at ASMSU, where she sat on the academic committee as well as the university committee for undergraduate education. She also brings leadership experience from other organizations such as the North American Indigenous Student Organization, or NAISO, and the Women’s Advisory Committee.

“I believe that ASMSU is at its best when everyone is proactive and engaged,” she said in her speech to the general assembly. “As your vice president of academic affairs, it is important that I create and maintain an environment where ideas flow from one another almost seamlessly and where everyone has the chance to become more involved and all areas of interest are adequately discussed.”

In her new role, Shavrnoch said she hopes to improve the relationship between the academic committee and the general assembly representatives, she said during the ASMSU meeting. She would also like the assembly at large to become more involved and accountable.

“What I hope to accomplish during my time as vice president of academic affairs may be different than what has been done in the past,” she said. “I would like for everyone, even those of you who may not sit on academic committee, to feel free to bring their ideas to me”

Shavrnoch told the general assembly that she feels prepared and ready for the job. She does not want to act as a wall between students and faculty members, but as a bridge between the two, she said.

“I just think that I’ve been in the sidelines long enough and I think I have good ideas that can be pushed forward this year,” she said. “I just think it’s time. I’ve been here for three years, and I’m ready.”

Share and discuss “ASMSU elects new Vice President for Academic Affairs” on social media.