MSUPD releases stats on crime and safety for the past three years

MSU police released its Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report includes crime and fire data for 2013-15 while including an extensive amount of information related to safety and security, including policies on security, alcohol and drug use, sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, crime prevention and reporting crimes.

The crime section of the report listed 12 categories of crimes reported on MSU’s campus and six categories of liquor, drug and weapons law violations. The fires section of the report lists fires that have occurred in residence halls on campus.

The report showed a decrease in the majority of specific criminal offenses committed at MSU.

However, the report did show aggravated assault crimes have increased through the previous three years.

The report also revealed that in 2013-15, there were no manslaughter cases or instances of non-forcible sexual offenses — incest or statutory rape — on campus.

The fire section of the report showed a decrease in fires reported in campus residence halls, but the value of property damage was significantly higher.

In 2013, there were four fires reported with two of them being listed as intentional. The total cost of property damage of those fires was $1,400.

The year 2014 had six fires reported. Bailey Hall and McDonel Hall each had two fires occur during 2014. McDonel Hall’s property damage of $5,100 was the most costly of all the residence halls that year. Bailey Hall and Armstrong Hall both accumulated a property damage value of $100 while Holden Hall had one reported arson, but the report said there was no property damage.

The most catastrophic year in terms of property damage was 2015. On Feb. 19, an excessive amount of lint in a dryer in Hubbard Hall sparked a dryer fire and resulted in a $96,000 loss. 

No statistics were published for 2016 in the report.

Share and discuss “MSUPD releases stats on crime and safety for the past three years” on social media.