Registered student organizations mixed on Sparticipation move to Breslin Center

Students walk the floor of the Breslin Center during Sparticiaption on Sept. 18 2016. The event was held to help students and clubs connect.
Students walk the floor of the Breslin Center during Sparticiaption on Sept. 18 2016. The event was held to help students and clubs connect. —
Photo by Emilia McConnell | The State News

Empty tables dotted the rows set aside for student organizations. What is normally the Breslin Center gym transformed for Sparticipation, full of curious students and optimistic student organizations. However, not as many were in attendance as originally expected.

This year’s Sparticipation was not what it was planned to be.

The event was originally scheduled to take place at Cherry Lane Field, a large span of outdoor space, which gave both attendees and student organizations plenty of breathing room. The field could hold 300 plus organizations, Breslin Center held approximately half of that.

“The outdoor event only lasted for like, half an hour,” Spanish and accounting senior and MSU Polo Club member Kat Pauli said. “But we got about 25 signatures in that time. Now, we’ve been here for two hours and have about the same. There’s just not as many people coming around.”

Sparticipation is a historically crowded event. But, Breslin Center was not nearly as crowded as was expected. Student Affairs and Services set aside a few rooms aside from the main arena, Breslin staff said, but ended up not having enough registered student organizations, or RSOs, to fill even those.

For some groups, this wasn’t a bad thing.

“The first Sparticipation for us was really hard,” representative of MSU Greenline and media and information senior Alison Trumble said. “We were in one of those really crowded tents, where people are cramped together and it was really hot and loud. Here it’s still loud and busy, but there’s enough space to actually talk to people. It seems more effective for us.”

Trumble, who was around in 2014 when Sparticipation was rescheduled because of similar circumstances, said this year felt much more organized.

“Honestly, I wish they did it here every year,” Trumble said.

Some student organizations said they felt the change wasn’t too major.

“It’s all right,” culinary services representative and advertising senior Dornell Mister said. “It’s always super hot, so I’m honestly thankful that it’s inside. It’s a lot nicer.”

The event lasted from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., but groups began packing up and leaving as early as 7:30 p.m. 

Share and discuss “Registered student organizations mixed on Sparticipation move to Breslin Center” on social media.