Letter: Keep the Supreme Court vacancy in mind this election

Should psychos have guns? Should society be able to discriminate against gays? Should billionaires be able to buy politicians? Should it be harder for African-Americans and the poor to vote? These are just a few of the issues that the Supreme Court have influenced in the past few years. The same Supreme Court that currently has a vacant seat.

Meanwhile, over in the legislative and executive branches of government, not a lot gets done. And with the Republicans likely to hold the House this fall, a democratic president would be stymied in every direction.

This brings me to the real decision voters must make in November — namely, the direction in which the Supreme Court will go. The next president will nominate a justice who will decide the outcome of so many critical issues over the next few years and, likely, the next few decades. 

The next president might have a bigger influence on the Supreme Court than any other president in history.

I voted for Bernie. He wants to change so many things for the better, like our immigration policy, and the influence of PACs, not to mention economic justice for working class families. These issues matter, but the current political reality is that neither Bernie nor Hillary would be able to do much as president. Except ... except, nominate a justice, and probably more than one, to the Supreme Court. The same Supreme Court that rules on so many issues that Bernie and his supporters, that I, care about.

The Supreme Court has an enormous influence on the kind of society we have. In many ways, the Supreme Court has more sway on society than the President of the United States. You will be indirectly voting for the next Supreme Court justice this November. Make sure that choice reflects the values you believe the country needs to pursue in the coming decades.

Rachel Pierce is a graduate student at MSU studying communicative sciences and disorders. 

Share and discuss “Letter: Keep the Supreme Court vacancy in mind this election ” on social media.