New kosher deli opens inside MSU Hillel Jewish Student Center

From left, Dewitt resident Shelly Beyer and East Lansing resident Cindy Hughes talk over lunch on Sept. 14, 2016 at Lester and Jewell Morris Hillel Jewish Student Center. Beyer and Hughes are the finance and executive directors of the Lester and Jewell Morris Hillel Jewish Student Center respectively.
From left, Dewitt resident Shelly Beyer and East Lansing resident Cindy Hughes talk over lunch on Sept. 14, 2016 at Lester and Jewell Morris Hillel Jewish Student Center. Beyer and Hughes are the finance and executive directors of the Lester and Jewell Morris Hillel Jewish Student Center respectively. —
Photo by Emilia McConnell | The State News

The deli is now available to Jewish students of the Hillel, Executive Director of the Hillel Cindy Hughey said.

All of the proceeds from the deli are funneled back into the Hillel, so it acts as a fundraiser, deli manager and Hillel Jewish Student Center director of special projects Eric Hughey said.

Hughey said he felt good about the way the opening went as closing time approached.

“I’m excited about a new place to eat,” librarian at the Main Library Jessica Sender said.

Human development and family studies junior Sara Weinfeld said she appreciated having a restaurant nearby that serves kosher meat.

The deli caters to more than just kosher palates. The Charles Street Deli also offers a vegetarian option with the Schumer Shabbas veggie hummus wrap.

Much like the veggie wrap, the name of which is Hebrew slang for an observant follower of the Jewish sabbath, all the other sandwiches offered at the deli are named after Jewish Celebrities or reference Jewish culture.

These include The Sandler, which is a corned beef and coleslaw sandwich, The Seinfeld, which is a turkey, lettuce and tomato sandwich, and the most popular option The Drake, which is a half corned beef and half pastrami sandwich, Hughey said.

Hughey said a sandwich named after comedian and “Seinfeld” co-creator Larry David is a work in progress.

The deli will be open Sundays through Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for lunch and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. for dinner.

Share and discuss “New kosher deli opens inside MSU Hillel Jewish Student Center” on social media.