HALFTIME UPDATE: MSU football leads Furman 14-3 in season opener

It didn't take long for MSU to get rolling, as R.J. Shelton took a reverse sweep 32 yards on the first play from scrimmage. L.J. Scott followed with two tackle-shedding rumbles that picked up another 30 yards. Just like that, in a mere seven play, three minute and 41 second drive, Scott waltzed into the end zone from one yard out to put MSU on the board. MSU closed out the first half leading Furman 14-3

MSU's defense had to respond to the impressive offensive drive before them, and that's exactly what they did. Junior defensive tackle Malik McDowell and company came out fending off the offense's energy, forcing a false start and fumble on the Paladin's first drive of the game. McDowell finished the half with two tackles, one of which for loss.

MSU's offense looked lethargic the rest of the first quarter, only tallying one more drive that picked up a first down and resulted in a missed 43 yard field goal from senior kicker Michael Geiger. For perspective, MSU had a 76 yard drive on their first possession, but only 42 in their next three chances.

Quarterback Tyler O'Connor, in only his second career start, looked calm and collected in the pocket, finishing the first half going 8-10 throwing for 109 yards and one touchdown. Third down offense struggle mightily for the Spartans in the first half, as they finished a sloppy 1-5 on third down conversions.

The Spartans, facing a dilemma with three quality running backs, allowed two of them to get some action in the first half. Scott proved his worth with 12 carries for 61 yards and a touchdown. Sophomore Madre London was next to enter the game, tallying three carries for six yards as well as one catch for 15 yards.

Shelton was missing for a large portion of the first half after taking a brutal hit on a punt return. Senior wideout Monty Madaris led the Spartans in receiving with three catches for 43 yards in the first half. Felton Davis III also gathered 3 catches for 40 yards and a touchdown late in the second quarter.

Defensively, the Spartans were led by Andrew Dowell who tallied five tackles n the first half. The secondary appeared boosted from the return of cornerback Vayante Copeland, as the unit only allowed 74 yards passing and had four pass break ups, including two on back-to-back plays while the defense was wavering on their own goal line. Senior safety Demetrious Cox also finished the half with five tackles. Rush defense was stout, only giving up 41 yards on the ground.

Junior linebacker Jon Reschke was listed at the top of the depth chart at SAM linebacker, but did not enter the game in the first half. He was replaced with Dowell, junior Chris Frey and a rotation of younger reserves. Frey tallied four tackles in the first half.

Furman quarterback P.J. Blazejowski went 9-18 for 74 yards in the first. Freshman running back Darius Morehead carried the ball eight times for 38 yards in the half. Defensively for Furman, senior safety Trey Robinson had 10 tackles in the first half. 

The lone bright spot on special teams for the Spartans was punter Jake Hartbarger, who pinned Furman inside the 10 yard line on two separate occasions and averaged 44.7 yards per punt, including one 58 yard bomb on his first attempt of the season.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME UPDATE: MSU football leads Furman 14-3 in season opener” on social media.