Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Gearing up for the first of the Clinton-Trump presidential debates

Businessman Donald Trump speaks to press in the spin room after the Republican Presidential Debate on March 3, 2016 at the Fox Theatre in Detroit.
Businessman Donald Trump speaks to press in the spin room after the Republican Presidential Debate on March 3, 2016 at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. —
Photo by Emily Elconin | and Emily Elconin The State News

The first presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will be held Monday night at 9 p.m.

According to the Commission on Presidential Debates, the topics are America's direction, achieving prosperity and securing America.

“That (topic, America’s direction) could affect MSU’s students because we are America’s direction and future,” marketing freshman Lucy Tomer said.

While Securing America is important to MSU students because they want to know they are safe while they are abroad and at home, comparative cultures and politics senior Rachael Marvin said.

“For college students it’s very important because we’re about to go into the world and start living," professional writing senior Holly Bronson said. "They (the topics) impact our lives directly."

With the election in November, some students are starting to decide who they will vote for.

“I have a pretty clear idea of who I’m voting for," Residential College in the Arts and Humanities freshman Grace Koepele said. "I’m hoping I will feel slightly better about my decision after watching the debate.”

Bronson said she is almost decided on who she will vote for, and plans to watch the debates help her make an informed decision.

“This is a very important election that will shape the future of America for years to come,” Bronson said.

This is the first of four debates, according the the Commission on Presidential Debates. 

There will be two more presidential debates, and one vice presidential debate. The other three will be in October.

Koepele said she plans to watch the debate so she has a better understanding of the candidates' views.

“I think it’s important to remain informed of what the candidates say,” Bronson said.

For some students, politics take a back seat.

Mechanical engineering sophomore David Lambert said he does not plan to watch the debate because he has classes and homework to worry about.

According to the International Business Times, the debate will be broadcast CNN, Fox News, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, C-SPAN and other major broadcast and cable networks. The debate will also be livestreamed for free on Facebook through ABC, and Bloomberg Television and CNN will livestream on Twitter.

According to Engadget, YouTube will offer livestreams with The Washington Post, Bloomberg Television, PBS and Telemundo.

Share and discuss “Gearing up for the first of the Clinton-Trump presidential debates” on social media.