Five things to watch for when MSU football takes on Furman

Head coach Mark Dantonio walks off the field during the Green and White scrimmage on April 23, 2015 at Spartan Stadium. The White team defeated the Green team, 14-11.
Head coach Mark Dantonio walks off the field during the Green and White scrimmage on April 23, 2015 at Spartan Stadium. The White team defeated the Green team, 14-11. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

When FCS opponent Furman and head coach Bruce Fowler roll into Spartan Stadium Friday evening, they will be greeted with a sea of green and white that’s stands 75,000 strong, filled with fans anxious to build off last season’s appearance in the College Football Playoff.

The Paladins are relatively unknown. They are located in Greenville, S.C. and finished last season with a 4-7 record in the Southern Conference. They are led by fifth-year senior quarterback Reese Hannon, who enters his fourth year as one of the team’s captains — a feat rarely achieved by a collegiate athlete.

“They are very similar to us as far as a four-down scheme, play a robber-coverage similar to us.” co-offensive coordinator Dave Warner said. “We’ve been able to sort of carry through with what we do against our own guys and formulate our game plan at practice that way. That has been a benefit. But, as is the case any first game, you never know for sure until you get out there and see exactly what they’re doing.”

With a little background on the opponent, let’s take a look at five things Spartan fans can expect to see from head coach Mark Dantonio’s 10th MSU football squad:

Tyler O’Connor will throw early and often:

O’Connor has expressed how much he wants to get back onto the field and play against someone besides his own defense, and with Notre Dame lurking on the schedule in week three, Dantonio is sure to see whether or not O’Connor is going to be able to deliver his throws on time against a lesser opponent.

“He’s had a great camp,” Dantonio said. “Nobody has dislodged him, he’s throwing the ball very effectively with knowing where to go with the ball. I think his arm strength is very good. He’s got the ability to move in the pocket, run around. He’s got great leadership qualities and he understands our offense.”

Fifth-year senior O’Connor will be making only his second-ever start against an opponent, and for his career O’Connor sits at a 63 percent completion rate for 374 yards and four touchdowns. He looks to improve his career record to 2-0, his lone victory coming last season on the road against a then-undefeated Ohio State University.

Damion Terry and possibly even Brian Lewerke could see some action later in the game at quarterback, but the coaching staff and MSU players have made it known that O’Connor plans to be the guy for the Spartans this season.

The depth of the secondary will be tested:

It seems fairly definitive that the four starters in the secondary will remain the same barring injuries — sophomore Vayante Copeland and senior Darian Hicks at cornerback and Demetrious Cox with Montae Nicholson at the safety slots. However, beyond that point the Spartans have a lot of talent in their younger backups

Last season, three young secondary players Grayson Miller, Khari Willis and Tyson Smith lost their redshirts midseason because of injuries and performance issues. They now have the needed in-game experience to step up as substitutes when needed and should see plenty of action come kickoff.

“The level of play of each individual has gone up because of the competition,” defensive coordinator Harlon Barnett said. “They know that there’s a guy right on their heels, so I think they are playing well.”

Redshirt-freshman Josh Butler will likely see time at the cornerback position as well. MSU coaches will use what they see against Furman to help determine who will be the nickelback and potential third safety in special pass-protection packages.

The defensive line will cause problems in the backfield all game long:

With preseason first-team All-American Malik McDowell as a member of MSU's defensive front, his playmaking abilities can put pressure on the opposing quarterback, which might lead them into trouble. McDowell is a tough matchup for any opponent and his ability to use his hands and quick feet to get around blocks is menacing.

Demetrius Cooper, who was second on the team last season with 5.5 sacks as a backup role, has speed off the edge and can get to the quarterback quickly. On the other side, Evan Jones is listed as the starter, but things could change when freshmen Auston Robertson or Josh King get involved.

Lastly, two transfers for MSU — former Delaware State defensive end Gabe Sherrod and sixth-year defensive tackle Kevin Williams from Nebraska each add depth to a line that recently was hurt by the departures of Enoch Smith Jr. and Cassius Peat.

In his short time at MSU, Williams has already vaulted up to the top of the depth chart at defensive tackle. As for Sherrod, he averaged 2.3 tackles for loss per game and finished with 64 tackles and eight sacks

Monty Madaris could have a breakthrough year, starting with Furman:

Coaches raved about Madaris in spring practices after he finished last season making appearances in 10 games, including a two-catch, 47-yard performance against Purdue. Overall, he has seven catches for 103 yards in 23 career appearances.

Madaris has dealt with injuries on and off throughout his career at MSU, but the Spartans are still searching for a deep threat to replace Aaron Burbridge, much like how Burbridge was used the year before with Tony Lippett.

If Madaris stays healthy, he could be the option. He has the hands and solid breakaway speed and could be in line for a breakout game against undersized Furman cornerbacks, who have only two freshmen standing at more than six feet tall.

Depth chart question marks answered across the board:

MSU has a large amount of “ORs” on their depth chart, whether it be between sophomore Andrew Dowell and junior Chris Frey at STAR linebacker or the moshpit of sophomores LJ Scott and Madre London with junior Gerald Holmes in the backfield.

Including the offensive line, the MSU coaching staff will most likely try to shore up a few positions before heading into Notre Dame. Each player listed as a co-starter would likely see time regardless, but having a definitive unit heading into a big game would be ideal.

PREDICTION

MSU football is the heavy favorite over Furman, and should not have too much trouble closing this one out before halftime. It will give Dantonio and his staff a chance to evaluate how well their players developed in the spring and test the nerves of some of the younger players before their first test against Notre Dame.

Furman will have a lot of difficulty scoring, but it is let to be seen whether or not junior linebacker Jon Reschke and company will hold them to zero first downs.

Nate says: MSU 49,  FURMAN 0 

Stephen says: MSU 38, FURMAN 10

Share and discuss “Five things to watch for when MSU football takes on Furman” on social media.