Takeaways and notes from Mark Dantonio's Tuesday Preview of Wisconsin

Head coach Mark Dantonio pats sophomore running back LJ Scott (3) on the back after scoring a touchdown during the game against Notre Dame on Sept. 17, 2016 at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Irish, 36-28.
Head coach Mark Dantonio pats sophomore running back LJ Scott (3) on the back after scoring a touchdown during the game against Notre Dame on Sept. 17, 2016 at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Ind. The Spartans defeated the Fighting Irish, 36-28. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

On Tuesday, MSU head football coach Mark Dantonio took to the podium to discuss more impressions he got from the Notre Dame game and preview MSU’s first Big Ten conference game — a noon kickoff on Saturday against the Wisconsin Badgers.

The victory over the Irish provided a solid stepping stone for the Spartans heading into conference play, giving players road and primetime experience and getting confidence in senior quarterback Tyler O'Connor that he can win big games. 

Dantonio stated that the Badgers are very similar to the Spartans, and it is something that has been reflected in their recent games. Since 2007, MSU and Wisconsin have met seven times, with the Spartans winning four of those, and all seven of the games were decided by 10 points or less.

Here are some notes and comments to take away from Dantonio’s preview.

Hall of Fame Acknowledgment

Three former MSU football players will be inducted into the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame: quarterback from 1963-65 Steve Juday, wide receiver from 1969-71 Eric Allen and 2011-14 punter Mike Sadler. Dantonio opened his conference by acknowledging them. Sadler’s potential Hall of Fame waiting period was waived following his death this summer.

“I would imagine the reason (waiting period was waived) was made because of the tragic events that happened,” Dantonio said. “It’s an honor to be here when Mike is inducted.”

Inductions for the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame will be held Thursday in the Wharton Center’s Pasant Theatre.

Praise for Clement

Wisconsin running back Corey Clement has had a solid season so far, carrying the ball 42 times for 197 yards and three touchdowns in two games this year, as he missed the last contest for the Badgers because of an injury. With his status up in the air still, Dantonio recognizes that the Badgers need him.

“Great change of direction,” Dantonio said as he began his praise for Clement. “He gets vertical. He’s powerful. He can run and he’s a Wisconsin type back. When you look back at all the guys that they've had in their background and their recent history, he’s like those guys.”

Dantonio is referring to former Wisconsin running backs such as James White, Montee Ball and Melvin Gordon. All three of those backs went on to the NFL, and each broke Wisconsin records and even a few Big Ten records.

Reschke is the man

Junior linebacker Jon Reschke stepped onto the field and seamlessly earned his starting role back after not playing against Furman because of a minor injury. Reschke had eight tackles, six of them solo in the game against Notre Dame as well as a forced fumble and an interception.

“Jon (Reschke) had a great game, I think he was player of the game, no question,” Dantonio said. “Right now he’s hitting his stride, I think last year he played very well but based on this last game, he stepped up in a big game, primetime situation and played extremely well. We are looking for more good things from him.”

Reschke overtook sophomore Andrew Dowell at the top spot and lone starter at the STAR linebacker position based off his performance last week. Dantonio praised Reschke as a “product of the environment,” giving credit to assistant coaches Mark Staten and Mike Tressel as well as his high school coach Al Fracassa at Brother Rice.

Other Notes

Dantonio seems ready to finally start conference play. He said conference play is where you get the “rings, big bowl games, playoffs,” and the matchup with Wisconsin is sure to be a tough task for the Spartans to start their Big Ten play.

Senior wide receiver R.J. Shelton is the only player from the MSU football roster to hail from the state of Wisconsin. Both his parents were athletes at Wisconsin, and Dantonio praised his leadership and playmaking skills as well.

Lastly, on a lighter note, Dantonio decided to name the fake extra point that was executed successfully following the Spartans' first touchdown against Notre Dame: "Muddle Huddle.”

Nobody seemed to understand what it meant, but that is the enigma of Dantonio. 

Share and discuss “Takeaways and notes from Mark Dantonio's Tuesday Preview of Wisconsin” on social media.