Clinton-Kaine campaign working to register students on campus

The Clinton-Kaine campaign kicked off a new push to register young voters on MSU's campus.

In an event held at the James Madison College Library at MSU, campaign staff, supporters and Rep. Jeremy Moss (D-Southfield) gathered to discuss the importance of involving young people in government.

Moss, who once served as the youngest ever Southfield City Council member, insisted that student voices will play a big role in the upcoming election. 

"This state and this country craves young leadership," he said.

Political science and pre-law senior Aaron Stephens, a campus organizer for the campaign, gave an energetic speech to the supporters circled around him.

"If we can get our student body to vote, we can flip the House and we can flip the Senate," Stephens said.

Stephens implored students to sign up to register new voters and said even one shift a week would make a difference.

Ronald Owens III, a political theory and constitutional democracy junior and Clinton campaign campus organizer, added that MSU and University of Michigan students are competing this weekend to register more new voters.

"We are going to register every student on this campus," Stephens said.

Once students register to vote, it's important to have a plan for election day, Moss said. He urged everyone in the room to pick a time to vote and put it in their calendars.

Moss said he believes young people are important for more than just votes. 

"The conservatives I work with — they belong in the basket of deplorables as well," he said. "It's taken millennial legislators to call out the BS in Lansing."

Share and discuss “Clinton-Kaine campaign working to register students on campus ” on social media.