ASMSU's bike share program to expand to 40 bikes despite setbacks, delays in the past

Cyclists and pedestrians head to class Sept. 10, 2015 on the bridge on Farm Lane. Bike traffic is a common issue for students on campus. Jack Stephan/ The State News
Cyclists and pedestrians head to class Sept. 10, 2015 on the bridge on Farm Lane. Bike traffic is a common issue for students on campus. Jack Stephan/ The State News —
Photo by State News File Photo | and State News file photo and State News file photo The State News

At an ASMSU meeting Thursday night, Jason Barnett, the vice president for finance and operations, reported that the bike share program that was originally passed in 2014 will fully launch on campus Monday.

“The bike share, I know I’ve been telling you about it a lot, it’s going to be launching next week,” Barnett said during the meeting. “The goal is going to be Monday. It may or may not necessarily be Monday.”

Infrastructure Planning and Facilities, IPF, is currently in the process of setting up the bike racks in preparation for the launch.

“IPF is still in the process of actually installing the racks,” Barnett said. “You’ll see them out there right now, but we just want to make sure that they’re actually bolted into the ground before we put bikes on them. So I’ll keep everyone updated as to when bikes are actually out there and they’re ready to be checked out at the front desks.”

The goal of the program is to provide students with a realistic alternative to the bus, walking or use of automobiles to create a more sustainable campus and encourage healthy living.

It currently exists in a pilot form at Bailey Hall with just eight bikes.

“All the bikes are available and ready to go,” Barnett said. “So it’s going to be some time next week. I can’t pinpoint a date yet.”

After this expansion, students will be able to pick up and return bikes at five different locations on campus using their student ID: Bailey Hall, Butterfield Hall, Snyder Hall, North Hubbard Hall and East Wilson Hall, Barnett said via email.

“Last year, there was one (location),” Barnett said. “So it’s a little bit more accessible to all students.”

Last year, the bikes at Bailey Hall were used more than 750 times, Barnett said via email. ASMSU plans to market the program more heavily this year in hopes it will be even more successful.

ASMSU and Residential and Hospitality Services, RHS, have been working together on the $52,800 plan since it was first suggested in 2013. The expansion has been in the works for six months.

Residential and Hospitality Services Sustainability Officer Carla Iansiti said the bike share program has “been a very successful program.”

“Just on the RHS part is that RHS is definitely a partner with it,” Iansiti said. “It’s run out of the residential education system and we house the information in the books for students to borrow the bikes.”

Iansiti’s biggest goal with the program is to increase awareness. 

“As far as I know, it’s success is growing every year,” Iansiti said.

Share and discuss “ASMSU's bike share program to expand to 40 bikes despite setbacks, delays in the past” on social media.