Alleged court room attacker charged

Joshua Harding, 35, of Okemos, was charged with four felonies Thursday relating to his attack on Ingham County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Jonathan Roth last August.

Harding was charged with assault to commit murder, terrorism, carrying a concealed weapon and possession of a weapon in jail. Harding could now face life in prison.

The incident occurred on Aug. 2, when Harding was facing conviction of second-degree criminal sexual assault conduct in a courtroom in downtown Lansing. While in the courtroom, Harding allegedly removed a shank from his sleeve and attempted to stab Roth in the head.

Harding was sentenced to 19 to 38 years in prison on Wednesday on the criminal sexual conduct charge he faced when the attack on Roth occurred.

“I am thankful for the quick action of the Ingham County Sheriff Deputies in the courtroom and grateful that Asst. Prosecutor Roth suffered no serious injury,” Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette said in a press release. “Prosecutors like Mr. Roth go to court every day to provide justice for Michigan victims and I am grateful for these men and women who work so hard to see justice is provided.”

Harding was denied bond and will have a pre-trial conference on Sept. 29 and a preliminary exam on Oct. 4.

Share and discuss “Alleged court room attacker charged” on social media.