Protests calm down on last day of DNC

A protester chants along with others on July 28, 2016, the fourth day of the Democratic National Convention, outside of Wells Fargo Arena in Philadelphia.
A protester chants along with others on July 28, 2016, the fourth day of the Democratic National Convention, outside of Wells Fargo Arena in Philadelphia. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

PHILADELPHIA — Hundreds of protesters gathered outside the Democratic National Convention security zone on Thursday night in a last ditch effort to voice anger and displeasure with the DNC.

Largely disorganized, the protesters separated into small pockets, milling about the streets calling for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton to be tossed in prison and for Senator Bernie Sanders to be given the nomination.

Many of the protesters drifting outside the fenced enclosure had professed their allegiance to the Green Party and Jill Stein, calling for all to join their “revolution.”

The hodgepodge of people were ineffective in communicating their distaste due largely to fact that many tried to band a big crowd together but were shouted down by others.

Police presence was heightened as standing officers and officers on bikes created a two officer thick wall around the perimeter.

Many of the officers remained in a pleasant disposition, joking with protesters and each other. Happy that his week-long shift at the DNC would be over, one officer smoked a cigar.

Protesters also leaked into Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park setting up signs and passing out pamphlets calling for a political revolution that they hoped would end in a global socialist order.

Though a majority of protesters fell far left on the political spectrum, some were more moderate Bernie Sanders supporters looking for a way to vent at they called an injustice to Sanders, following the revelation of DNC leadership emails that showed multiple attempts to disrupt Sanders’ chance of winning the nomination.

“I don’t feel Hillary has the numbers to beat Trump,” Michelle Barown of Florida said holding up a white sign with orange lettering styled to look like fire that read “Good job DNC you just elected Trump.” “Whereas Bernie had much better numbers, (the DNC) decided to cheat their way in.”

As the sun went down protesters began to collect at the entrance to the security zone murmuring that Sanders delegates would be walking out of the convention during Clinton’s acceptance speech and would join the protesters in a march to the FDR Park boathouse. Once there, they said they’d hear a speech from Jill Stein and join the Green Party.

Walking to the entrance at 9 p.m. they waited for over two hours before any delegates materialized. One man rushed the gates grabbing the bars with his hands and rattling the gates out of frustration. A swarm of the crowd gathered around him as police on the other side of the fence stepped up to guide him off the fence.

Some protesters linked arms and stood in front of the man as other protesters yelled to keep calm and show unity.

Just after 11:30 riot police marched down Broad Street toward the entrance in a show of strength, briefly lingering there for about a minute before marching back up the street.

The protesters began to dissipate after heading back of the area either into the park or towards public transit. 

Share and discuss “Protests calm down on last day of DNC” on social media.