David Garner reflects on forgoing MLB for MSU

Sophomore pitcher David Garner pitches the ball during the game against Penn State on May 19, 2012 at McLane Baseball Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans beat Penn State 9-2. State News File Photo
Sophomore pitcher David Garner pitches the ball during the game against Penn State on May 19, 2012 at McLane Baseball Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans beat Penn State 9-2. State News File Photo —
Photo by State News File Photo | and State News file photo and State News file photo The State News

In high school, Garner was drafted in the 33rd round (No. 997 overall) of the Major League Baseball Draft by the Cincinnati Reds in June 2010. Instead, Garner decided to play baseball at MSU that fall.

As a freshman at MSU, Garner was named the Big Ten All-Freshman Team where he had a 5-4 record, 4.62 ERA, 20 appearances, eight starts and was ranked third in strikeouts with 47. Garner also helped the Spartans win a Big Ten title in 2011 and earned an NCAA tournament the following year– the first time for MSU baseball since 1979.

With his success as a freshman, Garner became a full-time starter for MSU his sophomore year.

“It was kind of crazy,” Garner said. “I always was a Notre Dame fan, so I really never saw myself wearing the green and white, until I started to get recruited by them.”

At the end of his junior year, on June 20, 2013, Garner decided to sign a minor league contract with the Chicago Cubs, playing with the Boise Hawks. Garner was a seventh round pick (No. 198 overall) in the 2013 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft, becoming the fourth Spartan player to sign with a professional team. Garner owns an 11-7 career record with a 3.89 ERA and seventh all-time strikeouts at MSU.

“I love MSU, the people there, the atmosphere and everything else about it, besides the parking police,” Garner said. “To represent a school like MSU is an honor. Becoming pro just meant that my dream of becoming a big leaguer was just now a reality and I have the chance to make it become true.”

Garner currently plays for the Tennessee Smokies located in Kodak, Tenn.

“My girlfriend and her family are some of my biggest supporters,” Garner said. “Savannah really holds down the fort when I’m not there. She makes sure to bring Braxton to see me as much possible.”

To playing baseball in Niles, to breaking records at MSU and finally to signing with the Chicago Cubs, Garner has had an outstanding baseball career at just 23 years old. The right-hand pitcher plans on bettering his craft on the field and working towards the big leagues.

“I’m going to keep working, and going about my business the right way,” Garner said. “What happens with the Cubs, happens. As long as I can look back and say I gave it all I had, I’ll be okay.”

Share and discuss “David Garner reflects on forgoing MLB for MSU” on social media.