Country headliners mark day 3 of Common Ground

Adam Balcer of Fauxgrass plays guitar during Common Ground Music Festival on July 7, 2016 at Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing, Mich.

Nearly 11,000 people were in attendance to see headliners Tim McGraw, Cassadee Pope and Maggie Rose one 2016 Common Ground Music Festival volunteer said.

Many people traveled afar to see the one and only Tim McGraw.

"I came all the way from the Florida Keys," said festival-goer Chandler Elliot, who was at the festival to see Tim McGraw. 

Elliot's cousin, Lauren Elliot was there celebrating her birthday. 

"Common Ground has always had great concerts every year," Lauren said. Despite how hot it was the two cousins were dedicated to see their heartthrob, Tim McGraw.

Security was surly strict due to the high volume of people and because the legend, Tim McGraw, was only a few steps from the stage, which was surrounded by anxious fans. 

One slight hiccup occurred when the park was evacuated due to severe weather, although the park was reopened after about an hour. 

Though it was a hot day, people gathered to listen to all different types of country artists. Performing at the Pavilion Stage was Jericho Woods, Matt Austin and Crystal Day. On the Sparrow Stage performing was, Billy Strings, Faux Grass and Drew Hale.

Michigan natives, Matt Austin and his band, seemed focused and ready to rock the Pavilion Stage. Matt Austin is the lead vocalist and guitar, Joey Amatangelo is backing vocals and drums, Robert Amatangelo is backing vocals and bass guitar, and lastly Tony Godsey is backing vocals and guitar. 

Austin hasn't always been a country singer however, back in 2006 he played lead guitarist in a rock band and opened for Bon Jovi at The Palace of Auburn Hills in Detroit, MI. 

"This is our first time at Common Ground," Austin said. "We love country fans in Michigan because they are crazy and have so much energy. We love it."

Austin and his band have been together for the past two years, but Austin discovered his love for country music much earlier. He has opened for Lee Brice, Brantley Gilbert, Chase Rice and Sam Hunt in the past.

"I got my first guitar when I was 10 years old (and) I've been playing ever since," Austin said. 

As the day goes on and the sun is only getting hotter, Common Ground got more crowded with fans of Thursday's headliners. 

Maggie Rose, who shared the same stage as Tim McGraw, was ready to hop on the stage. 

"It's unreal to perform on the same stage as Tim McGraw," Rose said. "I actually remember going to a Tim McGraw concert back in the day, and leaving the concert I got into a little crash, but everything was okay. But it was funny to share that with Tim now."

Rose recently got married in June to husband Austin Marshall, who travels with her on tour and gigs. 

"Before every performance I like to get my band and crew together in a circle and pray and just remember why we're here," Rose said. "It's nice because we're all running around before we go on stage so I like to see everyone before hand."

This is Rose's first time performing at Common Ground as well. 

"I'm excited to perform here," Rose said." My sound is different, I do a little of bit of everything. Country, Rock, Soul, I'm not just country."

Share and discuss “Country headliners mark day 3 of Common Ground” on social media.