Behind the scenes with Detroit producer Black Milk, an 'artist for the people'

Rapper Black Milk performs during Common Ground Music Festival on July 8, 2016 at Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing, Mich.
Rapper Black Milk performs during Common Ground Music Festival on July 8, 2016 at Adado Riverfront Park in Lansing, Mich. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Actually going inside the trailer of Curtis Cross, better known to the public as the Detroit-born emcee and producer Black Milk, those notions are immediately dispelled. Inside of the drab room containing no more excitement than several scattered fold-out chairs, a portable table draped with a white tablecloth and a couple of half-empty water bottles, Cross leans back and exchanges small talk with Aaron “Ab” Abernathy, a member of Nat Turner, the band that is accompanying Black Milk on tour. It’s their twelfth stop of the tour that still has a month to run.

“Crazy little lineup,” Cross said regarding Common Ground’s other performers. “Man, I didn’t really know the lineup and who was on the bill until last minute.”

With their concert just an hour away, Cross and Abernathy seemed completely tranquil. Uninterrupted by the bass-tremors of the ongoing French Montana concert, conversation ranges from sports to past shows.

As the preconcert jitters eroded over the course of eight years of touring, a routine developed. Both are in a zone.

“Oh really?” Cross asked upon finding out about the sweeping storm that tortured the festival earlier in the day. At the time of hail-fall and wind gusts, Cross was in his hotel room relaxing before showtime and didn’t hear or see a thing.

Make no mistake, Cross’ nonchalant demeanor in no way represents a lack of passion for his craft. Contrarily, his performance on stage teems with energy. Rather, Cross’ manner is a mark of honesty that substitutes for the typical pandering and boasting of “the best show ever” from many savvy veterans within the music business.

BJ Kalahiki has known Cross for many years, both as a supporter and friend, and says there’s no act. Of the slew of positive traits that Kalahiki listed, the realness of Black Milk’s artistry was second to none.

“Man, Black Milk, first of all, is an artist for the people,” Kalahiki, a follower for nearly 10 years, said. “He speaks about social problems going on, and he writes to beat and he’s his own producer. When I heard (Black Milk) was coming to Common Ground, I said ‘Man forget A$AP (Rocky). I’m going to see Black Milk.”

Unswayed by mainstream appeal, their jazz, hip-hop and funk hybrid is unique.

And while keeping up with the new style, Cross, 32, was taught by the old.

“I stay keeping stuff like old funk albums and soul albums on rotation. That’s just the norm,” Cross said, mentioning Stevie Wonder, Parliament-Funkadelic and Marvin Gaye as influences on his style. “Always teaching myself or trying to get an understanding of what makes people respond musically. Just studying the greats and trying to understand what made the greats, musically. And then incorporating that into modern-day music. Just making it and doing it my own way.”

Cross’ sound is also influenced by his roots as a kid raised by the diverse music market of Detroit.

“Even though you have all these different sounds and styles of hip-hop music, you can still find collaborations. We’ve never been a city that would separate in terms of the art,” Cross said.

Kalahiki has a special interpersonal connection to Cross too, having recorded with him in years past. In Kalahiki’s experience, Cross does not change when he steps on stage as Black Milk.

“I’m so blessed to see him again, because it’s been years since we did our whole ‘Respiration’ thing over at Mac’s Bar in the day,” Kalahiki said about Cross. “I’ve had the pleasure of knowing him for some time now, and he came over to my basement one time, and we made beats together. He’s a humble man, and he’s a man of the people.”

Kalahiki guaranteed that Cross and the members of Nat Turner would be out to shake hands with fans before exiting the venue– and the promise held up.

Although Cross stars as Black Milk, his “indescribable” Detroit attitude and respect for his peers keep him grounded. While he sports a gold-faced Rolex, his handshakes to the crowd and pointing out in appreciation of his band members are distinctly humble traits.

“I want to name everybody in the band,” Cross said, singling out Abernathy on keyboard and vocals, Zeb Horton on drums and Malik Hunter on bass and vocals.

To end his set, Cross bowed out with even greater reverence for his bandmates. After thanking the crowd, Cross renamed and reintroduced the members before quietly walking off stage with an instrumental still playing, offering up the spotlight entirely to Nat Turner while sacrificing his applause.

“Personally, I like a lot of room to go off the cuff and do stuff spontaneous. And you can do that when you have (Nat Turner) as opposed to being confined to just a track,” Cross said.

Share and discuss “Behind the scenes with Detroit producer Black Milk, an 'artist for the people'” on social media.