Less than 30 arrested during week of Republican National Convention

A man yells at police officers on July 21, 2016, the last day of the Republican National Convention, at Public Square in Cleveland, Ohio.
A man yells at police officers on July 21, 2016, the last day of the Republican National Convention, at Public Square in Cleveland, Ohio. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

CLEVELAND – Some predictions for the week had arrests levels at the 2016 Republican National Convention as high as 1,000 a day, Cleveland Police Sgt. Jennifer Ciaccia said Thursday, but the overall arrest count for the week came to less than 30, the City of Cleveland and Police Department officials said at a final press conference Friday to wrap up the week.

Though the the final number for arrests was not released, the total as of Thursday was 23

The planning process for the RNC began 18 months ago. More than 2,800 officers from all across the United States helped out in Cleveland this week.

"I want to thank our thousands of law enforcement partners who came from sea to shining sea," Police Chief Calvin Williams said. "They were great."

Williams said their greatest partner was Ohio State Highway Patrol.

Protests on Thursday remained peaceful with large police presence regardless.

The calm, yet excited atmosphere went on into the night.

"We were accused of not being prepared... but I think the proof is in the pudding," Mayor Frank Jackson said.

Jackson said the city succeeded in three ways by putting on the convention, keeping people safe and Cleveland becoming a model for putting on events such as the RNC.

"We're showing the world that we're not what people think we are," Williams said. He said protesters were cooperative.

Williams repeatedly said, "Don't doubt Cleveland."

Recently, the Cleveland Cavaliers won the NBA championship and the city had 1.3 million people downtown around the time they were prepping for the RNC.

The success of the bicycle unit has made Cleveland bringing back the division in the neighborhoods, Williams said.

The cost of the convention was considerable, $2.5 million were invested into the convention through the host committee, Jackson said.

The city also took out a $50 million insurance policy thinking crime would be bad. Jackson said it was necessary because they didn't know what was going to happen. He said the RNC was amazing marketing for the city.

"It puts us in a different light," Jackson said. 

Share and discuss “Less than 30 arrested during week of Republican National Convention” on social media.