Top 8 must-see political films to watch this election year

<p>Donald Trump speaks with the Chicago Tribune Editorial Board on June 29, 2015, in Chicago.</p>

Donald Trump speaks with the Chicago Tribune Editorial Board on June 29, 2015, in Chicago.

Photo by Michael Tercha/Chicago Tribune/T | The State News

8. “Lincoln”

An epic and widely hailed performance by Daniel Day Lewis and others in Steven Spielberg’s drama of Abraham Lincoln’s final months of life carried this film to 12 Academy Award nominations. Day Lewis’ performance took home the Oscar for best actor largely for his deep and emotional portrayal of Lincoln. But despite his masterful portrayal, the inner workings of politics surrounding the 13th Amendment are brought to life vividly, showcasing the tension rooted in the passage of the bill.

7. “Milk”

A beautiful biopic of gay rights activist Harvey Milk and his rise in American politics. Sean Penn gives an inspiring performance as Milk. The film truly displays the power of the movement and Milk’s overwhelming presence as a leader. Milk was the first openly gay man elected to public office in a time when fear was being instilled into American citizens. Dustin Lance Black’s screenplay encapsulates Milk’s rise to a national symbol and to many, a hero. Through its innumerable amazing performances, Milk’s story will continue to be shown accurately through Gus Van Sant’s “Milk”.

6. “Frost/Nixon”

When Frank Langella first appears on screen in Ron Howard’s “Frost/Nixon”, it’s as if we have stepped into a time machine. He portrays former President Richard Nixon with so much honesty and strength. Michael Sheen’s portrayal of David Frost really comes to life when he sits down opposite Langella’s Nixon and asks that famous questions, “Why didn’t you burn the tapes?” For people who never lived through the Nixon years and even the famous Frost interview, “Frost/Nixon” brings a real life view of the man and his life post-Watergate.

5. “The Manchurian Candidate” (original)

Based upon Richard Condon’s 1959 novel of the same name, “The Manchurian Candidate” poignant satire is especially relevant in today’s political sphere with its aim at every idea of politics. The film not only showed a new perspective to viewers, but it came at a time when John F. Kennedy’s assassination at the hands of Lee Harvey Oswald took more convincing than to be expected. Film critic Roger Ebert asks, “Would the speculation about Oswald’s background and motives have been as fevered without the film as a template?” John Frankenheimer’s “The Manchurian Candidate” features many outstanding performances including that of Frank Sinatra as Captain Bennett Marco. The quick-wit and importance of the film make it a very essential part of the political film club.

4. “All the King’s Men” (original)

The 1949 film starring Broderick Crawford as corrupt politician and philanderer, Willie Stark, captured best picture and best lead actor in 1950. Since opening to critical acclaim, the film has largely been lauded by audiences since. Many critics considered it spot on with the Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Robert Penn Warren of the same name. It tells the story of a small time politician who rails against the government only to fall victim to the one thing he detests as he rises through the ranks to the governorship — corruption.

3. “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb”

A satirical film by Stanley Kubrick, it touts the Cold War and the ever prevalent threat of the atomic bomb and doomsday device. Behind the acting of Peter Sellers and George C. Scott, it tells a story of U.S.-USSR relations that hinged on never being too far from launching a nuclear war and the end of times. With sexual undertones and crazed characters, the film highlights the aggression and apparent madness of the arms race all while showcasing comedic genius. Roger Ebert, the famed film critic, called it “arguably the best political satire of the century.”

2. “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington”

James ‘Jimmy’ Stewart served as the greatest actor of his generation for decades, but it was Frank Capra’s “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” that truly defined Stewart’s talents. Stewart plays the naive and fresh politician who is elected to the U.S. Senate, Jefferson Smith. Smith is quickly immersed in the intense world of American politics where he struggles to stay true to the man he was and the principles that define him. The cruelty of Washington begins to eat at Mr. Smith. One of the greatest scenes within the film, is an inspiring filibuster given by Mr. Smith, which Stewart plays beautifully. It’s no surprise that the film was nominated for 11 Academy Awards. The film’s significance in culture and politics are part of the reason it’s one of the best political films in history.

1. “All the President’s Men”

While the full fledged tale of the journalism that took down President Nixon amidst the Watergate Scandal will grace many journalists’ lists of top movies, when it comes to capturing the reality of a job and situation, “All the President’s Men” wasn’t nominated for eight Academy Awards for no reason. While it didn’t win best picture, it did capture awards for Best Supporting Actor, Best Writing and Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium, among others. With star power behind, Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford and Jason Robards, the film brought to life the real people involved in the scandal. Taking a realistic approach can often times be hit or miss for movies, but “All the President’s Men” blends reality with storytelling to create an engaging film surrounding the relationship of journalists and newspapers to politics, the White House and corruption.

Share and discuss “Top 8 must-see political films to watch this election year” on social media.