The Coral Gables: the legacy behind East Lansing's oldest restaurant

The sign outside of Coral Gables on June 8, 2016 in East Lansing Mich. Coral Gables is the oldest restaurant in East Lansing.
The sign outside of Coral Gables on June 8, 2016 in East Lansing Mich. Coral Gables is the oldest restaurant in East Lansing. —
Photo by Emilia McConnell | The State News

When walking into the doors of The Coral Gables restaurant, customers are greeted by the famous MSU duck statue made by WWII Veterans who visited the famous roadhouse in the early ‘30s and ‘40s. During this time, Gables’ roadhouse was filled with some of America’s greatest bands including Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra, Duke Ellington, Stan Kenton, Woody Herman, The Four Freshman and the Ink Spots, to name a few.

During the 1920s there weren’t many places for MSU students, professors and MSU athletes to go drink and have a good time with friends, until The Coral Gables restaurant opened. History is written all over the walls of The Coral Gables and is filled with rich stories from decades of Spartan alumni.

In 1968, owners Alex Vanis and George Tesseris bought The Coral Gables from Tom Johnson. Vanis and his family have turned this once rock ‘n’ roll bar into a family and banquet hall restaurant.

However, the spirit of the Gables’ still lives in East Lansing today. Stuart Vanis, who helps run The Coral Gables with his father Alex, said Gables’ roadhouse was the first restaurant in East Lansing to serve pizza.

“In the ‘50s, a high school girl’s father came home with something she had never seen before, and it was called pizza,” Stuart said. “She and her family still come here till this day.”

With surviving two big fires, one completely burning down Gables’ in 1956, MSU Alumni athletes still turn towards The Coral Gables to show them a good time.

“All the players from the ‘66 and ‘65 football championship team came to The Coral Gables restaurant last year because thats where they went when they attended MSU,” Stuart said.

Even though the demographics have changed towards a more family oriented restaurant, The Coral Gables was once MSU’s hottest spot on campus in the 1920s through late 1960s.

“Why did the football players come back here for their homecoming weekend? There’s a reason they came back...because this was their place,” Alex said.

Today, The Coral Gables serves authentic Greek food due to the Vanis family’s strong Greek heritage. They also serve fresh white fish, fresh turkey, homemade pies, ice-cream and deserts with an endless amount of specialities to choose from.

“There is a little something for everyone,” Alex said.

The Coral Gables has become a home away from home for many MSU alumni and their families. It reigns as the oldest restaurant in East Lansing not because of how long its been standing but because of its long lasting memories in the Spartan community.

Share and discuss “The Coral Gables: the legacy behind East Lansing's oldest restaurant” on social media.