MSU offers enriched learning space in the 4-H Children's Garden

East Lansing resident Juliet Ivkovich, 7, decorates a hat during the Mad Hatter Tea Party on June 28, 2016 at the 4-H Children's Garden. Ivkovich said she was decorating her hat tea party style.
East Lansing resident Juliet Ivkovich, 7, decorates a hat during the Mad Hatter Tea Party on June 28, 2016 at the 4-H Children's Garden. Ivkovich said she was decorating her hat tea party style. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

“I’ve seen snapchat videos of people there at the chime thing that you step on, but I don’t even know where it is,” Marie Laird, a junior at MSU, said.

The “dance chimes,” also referred to as the “music chimes,” are located at the 4-H Children’s Garden near the south end of campus on Bogue Street between Wilson and Service Roads.

“Not many students know about it...I would like to see many students come check it out. It’s more of a place where you can come and be a child again.” Garden Manager Dr. Norm Lownds said.

A place of adventure for all ages awaits at the 4-H Children’s Garden where childhood fun happens with a tree house, pizza garden and a 1960s theme.

“It’s completely different from Beal. It’s interactive, colorful, and lively. Some students say they will come to the children’s garden in a heartbeat given the chance” Lownds said.

The Children’s Garden is a fairytale-like area where an escape exists from all the stress and pressure of a college student and one can embrace color, happiness and joy with exhibits in a garden of peace and smiles.

The garden promotes education to children as they learn about the plants and the roles that they play in daily lives. It also nurtures the imagination and curiosity of children.

The indoor garden opens every day at 8 a.m. and closes at 5 p.m.

“It’s a gorgeous hidden gem on MSU’s campus and I think it’s better than the Botanical Gardens” Camille Thomas, a junior at MSU who visits the garden, said.

Jane Taylor, the visionary for the garden, brainstormed the idea in 1987. In 1993 the garden had its grand opening. In 24 years of a developed program, the garden has been a part of the MSU history.

The garden has a public outreach program catered to teach and research. The 4-Hs stand for head, heart, hands and health and it is the largest out-of-school program in both the state and nation.

The garden offers so much to all: education opportunities for children, a piece of sincerity, a place where students can take their graduation photos. It can even be a creative and fun hang out spot with friends.

“Go there and do all the activities because it’s a lot of fun, and I think it would be a cute date idea,” Thomas said.

Share and discuss “MSU offers enriched learning space in the 4-H Children's Garden” on social media.