MSU Greenline: Behind the scenes of Big Ten's largest calling program

Senior supply chain management Reece Adams throws a ballon Feb. 26, 2016 at IM west. The game was a charity event to raise money for the city of Flint.
Senior supply chain management Reece Adams throws a ballon Feb. 26, 2016 at IM west. The game was a charity event to raise money for the city of Flint. —
Photo by Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen | and Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen The State News

“I’ve worked at Greenline for 12 semesters and been a supervisor for the past 10 semesters,” Strauss said. “I had a team of about 10-15 callers.”

The callers Strauss is referring to are the students employees who call MSU alumni to ask for donations to help better the university.

“We reach out to keep them connected, a lot of the time we’re the only people alumni talk to after graduation at MSU,” Strauss said. “We’re usually the mainline of connection to alumni.”

Grant has worked at Greenline for a shorter period of time, but says he loves his job

“I’ve worked for Greenline for an entire year officially, and I am an employee in the call center,” Grant said.

Strauss and Grant said the importance of Greenline is giving back to the university.

“We reach out to alumni and friends of the university to get donations for scholarships, study abroad, campus resources, anything to improve the university,” Strauss said. “The callers decide what college they want the donations to go to and the colleges decide the greatest area of need.”

Greenline calls all alumni, from those who graduated a year ago, to someone who may have graduated 60 years ago.

Grant said the job may seem boring to outsiders because it’s a call center, but it’s actually a very great time in the office.

“Everyone is always happy and working to make the university better,” Grant said.

Strauss and Grant say the work environment is very fun and inviting, and that it feels like they are coming home to family when coming into work.

“Alongside getting our work done we play games, talk to each other, do crosswords. If you walk in you may see lots of laughing or maybe even a paper airplane flying around and we also hang out a lot outside of work,” Strauss said. “Greenline is oriented to college students. We know how boring it can be in telemarketing so we do everything we can to make it enjoyable.”

Grant compares the work environment to the popular comedy show, The Office, and also said how much of a great experience Greenline has been in his life.

“Greenline has been a life changing experience, you meet some of the most unique, wonderful people ever in life,” Grant said. “Each of my coworkers treat each other with love, no matter the age.”

Strauss said that he would offer this job at Greenline to other MSU students because it’s more than just asking for donations at Greenline.

“Greenline is the best job I’ve ever had, and if you talk to a lot of our staff, they’ll say the same,” Strauss said. “We are not just about donations, it’s a learning environment. Employee’s learn communication skills, build relationships and relationship building skills. It’s a family environment. We care for each other, when you walk into Greenline you have about 100 new friends.”

Strauss’ last day at Greenline was June 10 because he graduated in May, and to be an employee at Greenline is it required to be enrolled at Michigan State.

“I would like to say thank you to Greenline, I’m very appreciative of everything it’s done for me,” Strauss said. “I’m just very thankful.”

Share and discuss “MSU Greenline: Behind the scenes of Big Ten's largest calling program” on social media.