Fans, friends and family fill Munn Ice Arena to remember Ron Mason

Tyler Walsh stands beside the casket of his grandfather Ron Mason before carrying him off the ice after the funeral service on June 16 at Munn Ice Arena.
Tyler Walsh stands beside the casket of his grandfather Ron Mason before carrying him off the ice after the funeral service on June 16 at Munn Ice Arena. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

Thursday afternoon, a remembrance ceremony was held in honor of MSU hockey legend Ron Mason, who died at the age of 76 earlier this week.

The ceremony took place, fittingly, at Munn Ice Arena. The floor of the arena was lined with chairs and packed with family members, friends and fans. 

"(He was) a great man, he lit up a room when he came in," Merrill Shelden, a fan of MSU hockey since 1986, said. 

Shelden said his fondest memory of Mason came from a photograph he once gave to the coach. 

"I sent Ron a picture and I put on the back 'One of the greatest hockey coaches ever'... And I went to Ron and I says, 'hey Ron what'd you do with my picture I gave ya?'"

"He says, 'You know that picture sits (as) the first picture on my bulletin board. In my office.' That was one of the biggest thrills to me that he respected me in that way," Shelden said.

The funeral for Mason commenced with a solemn rendition of both the Canadian and United States national anthems, followed by a live performance of the MSU fight song. 

Reflections followed from a series of friends and MSU figures, their lives having all been touched by Mason. 

“We are all blessed that Ron Mason passed through our world and our lives," Brian Gilmour, friend and retired high school principle, said. "(He was) always organized, always civil, always communicating expectations and providing positive reinforcement.”

David Carrier, MSU Associate athletic trainer, said of Mason, "He was a coach’s coach, he had it all. He transcended the sport of ice hockey... His demeanor resonated throughout the entire program here at MSU.”

Steve Cady, senior associate athletic director for Miami University, said that one of Mason's lesser known virtues was "his compassion and love for others less fortunate."

The athletic director told the story of an encounter between Mason and a Lansing homeless man, the latter having recognized Mason from TV.

Cady said that Mason stopped and chatted about hockey with the man for ten minutes before leaving for dinner. 

MSU basketball coach Tom Izzo paid his respects to Mason. “Ron Mason for me was a guy that always kind of took me under his wing," Izzo stated. “I don’t know if it was because I had an accent back then… if he thought I was Canadian," the head coach mused.

Izzo said that he would cheer on Mason's hockey team "every Friday and Saturday night." 

Izzo went on to tell the tale of how after a particularly brutal loss to Detroit Mercy in 1997, tarnishing the team's record to 4-3, Mason travelled all the way out to Detroit to speak to both Coach Izzo and the basketball team.

The team would go on to win the Big 10 championship that year and finish at 22-8. Izzo called Mason's actions a turning point. 

The funeral finished with a rendition of MSU shadows by the live band, followed by the procession. 

Jim Lazar, a fan of MSU hockey since 1976, brought a photograph depicting his smiling young son and Mason on the ice together. 

"Very professional," Lazar said of coach Mason. "Straightforward. Great coach, and always willing to take time to spend with you - to talk with ya. A really nice guy. (A) Lot of the hockey memories and personal memories with my son (came from Mason). It's a tough day today."

Share and discuss “Fans, friends and family fill Munn Ice Arena to remember Ron Mason” on social media.