Bryn Forbes signs NBA Summer League contract with San Antonio Spurs

Senior forward Bryn Forbes defends Wisconsin guard Zak Showalter during the first half of the game against Wisconsin on Feb.18, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Badgers,
Senior forward Bryn Forbes defends Wisconsin guard Zak Showalter during the first half of the game against Wisconsin on Feb.18, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, —
Photo by Alice Kole | and Alice Kole The State News

According to multiple reports on Friday afternoon, Bryn Forbes will join the San Antonio Spurs' Summer League roster. Forbes is the fourth and final departing MSU player from this past season to sign with an NBA team, marking a temporary end to the summer drama for MSU Men's Basketball fans.

Forbes will first play for the team from July 4-7 in Salt Lake City, afterwards competing in the Las Vegas Summer League from July 8-18. The Spurs are the defending champions of the Las Vegas Summer League.

Forbes went undrafted in last week's NBA Draft, but MSU head coach Tom Izzo told local broadcaster Tim Staudt that he had garnered plenty of attention from NBA teams. Izzo listed off the Spurs, Boston Celtics and Charlotte Hornets as suitors of the Lansing Sexton graduate. 

Although Forbes elected to go to the Spurs for Summer League ball, he could sign anywhere that he has offers once Summer League is over, just as Seth Curry, brother of defending MVP Stephen Curry, did last year when he played on the New Orleans Pelicans' Summer League team before penning his signature for the Sacramento Kings in the long run.

To qualify for any sort NBA roster, Forbes will need to shoot as impressively as he did in his senior season, when he shot 48 percent from three-point range, placing amongst the nation's best. Forbes also averaged 14.4 points per game his senior season and played 28 minutes per game for the Spartans. 

Forbes joins Matt Costello as the two former MSU players uncertain of their NBA future. Costello, on the Hawks, and Forbes both have non-guaranteed contracts and are far from shoe-ins for making day one NBA rosters. Denzel Valentine, on the Chicago Bulls, and Deyonta Davis, on the Memphis Grizzlies, are the other two most recent members of the NBA crop hailing from MSU, and both are sure to find their way onto an NBA court for the upcoming season. All four will play in the NBA Summer League to debut for their new teams.   

Share and discuss “Bryn Forbes signs NBA Summer League contract with San Antonio Spurs” on social media.