Spartan skywatching: what to look for in your summer night sky

<p>In late August, Venus and Jupiter will appear very close together in the sky, forming a bright object.&nbsp;</p>

In late August, Venus and Jupiter will appear very close together in the sky, forming a bright object. 

Photo by Thor Mallgren | The State News

With summer comes warm weather, late nights and a perfect opportunity to gaze up at the wonders of the night sky. 

Check out the infographic below for information on some of the best skywatching taking place over the summer.

Looking to catch the best possible view of these events? The key according to space.com is to avoid light pollution. 

Light pollution is caused by bright lights from cities, which block out the light from the sky.

Shannon Schmoll, director of the Abrams Planetarium at MSU, said, "If you can get even outside the city a bit you have a better chance of seeing more stars." 

Schmoll went on to say, "If you are not familiar with the night sky, some good options to learn more include visiting the MSU observatory, which is open two nights a month." 

If you pine for a seriously dark sky experience, Michigan has the Headlands, its very own dark sky park, located just west of Mackinaw City. 

At the Headlands, the view is purported to include the Milky Way galaxy itself. 

Share and discuss “Spartan skywatching: what to look for in your summer night sky” on social media.