New software introduced to MSU Alert system

The MSU Police Department and MSU Information Technology Services have teamed up to provide a new way of alerting the MSU community of emergency situations.

The software, called Alertus, is available free of charge for people to install and will notify users on their desktops, as opposed to a text message.

The new system is meant to expand pre-existing alert systems in order to reach people who may be in their offices, research facilities or at home, according to an MSUPD statement.

The software also is expected to be deployed to MSU computer labs and classrooms during the summer semester.

On April 13 at 1:30 p.m., MSU will test the new alert system and some existing systems, including the statewide tornado siren.

The software can be downloaded from alert.msu.edu. Once installed and activated, users will receive a “pop-up” style message when the MSU police launches an emergency message to the system.

“It is important for all members of the MSU community to know what alerts may be sent to better prepare themselves in an ‘all-hazards’ style of preparedness," MSUPD Capt. Penny Fischer said in a statement. 

Share and discuss “New software introduced to MSU Alert system” on social media.