Students respond to ongoing dispute between Apple and FBI

Late in March, the ongoing feud between Apple and the FBI over access to the iPhone of deceased gunman Syed Rizwan Farook, one of the perpetrators of the San Bernardino shooting that left 14 dead, took a dramatic turn.

After weeks of a standstill over the matter — the FBI requesting Apple to develop a backdoor for its iPhones and Apple CEO Tim Cook refusing on grounds of privacy protection — the FBI found a way in anyhow. 

With the aid of private company Cellebrite, based near Tel Aviv, Israel, the FBI's gamble to shame Apple in the public eye became moot, though the issue is far from resolved.

The feud has created some cause for concern among iPhone users here at MSU. Erika Campbell, a social relations and policy junior, said she sees it as a powerful example of the ongoing debate on whether privacy or public safety is more important. 

"Originally, I was kind of like, 'Oh if you have nothing to hide then what does it matter?'" Campbell said. "You know, I'm a college student, is everything I do legal? No, but would I appreciate if someone illegally searched my phone to gain that information? Absolutely not. ... I kind of went from one side to the other."

Campbell said she isn't as concerned about her own iPhone's security as she is about the precedent this case will set.

"It worries me that governmental agencies, especially ones as powerful as the FBI, are starting to encroach upon those freedoms," Campbell said.

The iPhone users who have been following the story shared similar sentiments. Alexis Farrell, a James Madison College freshman, took a position similar to Campbell's.

"Me personally, I don't really have anything on my phone that I'm too concerned about getting out, but I think it's more about the government overstepping their power," Farrell said.

Though iPhones are used by a fairly large proportion of students at MSU, Farrell also commented that, despite the serious implications of the Apple v. FBI case, the level of discussion among students has been minimal.

"I try to keep up with the news and I saw a lot of it on there, but I haven't really, I mean, I haven't talked with anyone about it," Farrell said. "It didn't seem like that big of a deal to anyone else."

Share and discuss “Students respond to ongoing dispute between Apple and FBI” on social media.