​Spartan Sur group mixes popular music with Bollywood music

Neuroscience senior Alwin Davidon performs with the Spartan Sur during Saathiya on April 9, 2016 at the Wharton Center. Saathiya is an event put on by the Coalition of Indian Undergraduate Students at MSU.
Neuroscience senior Alwin Davidon performs with the Spartan Sur during Saathiya on April 9, 2016 at the Wharton Center. Saathiya is an event put on by the Coalition of Indian Undergraduate Students at MSU. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

The Spartan Sur group mixes popular music with Bollywood music.

“I don’t think that anyone will hear a sound like ours on this campus,” group member and neuroscience junior Alwin David said. “Being able to implement our culture with music that we enjoy along with our love for singing, that’s why people should be excited about what (Spartan Sur) has to come.”

The group recently competed in two South Asian a cappella competitions in North Carolina and Iowa. Many of the group members said that these competitions have been their favorite memories with Spartan Sur.

“We did really well at our competitions,” David said. “We learned a lot about other groups and what they do, and learned a lot about our group and our competing nature, as well as a lot of other things to help us improve our sound.”

The group recently released an album on a multitude of popular music sharing sites, including Spotify and iTunes. The album is called Surround Sound and includes eight songs.

Spartan Sur President and cognitive neuroscience senior Joseph Aquino said he enjoyed the experience of recording the songs.

“It was really cool, it was the first time I had ever been in a music studio, and that was the case for most of the group,” Aquino said. “We all got to try something new, and the album sounds awesome. It’s really surreal having our music on Spotify, and on the same platform as Top-40 artists. It’s a crazy experience for me, to say the least.”

The group’s most recent performance was at the Saathiya Indian cultural event. One of the songs that was performed by Spartan Sur at the event was “Run This Town,” which David assisted in arranging. The group originally arranges all of their music and this creativity is portrayed in their pieces.

Many students severed as spectators during the event, and enjoyed the uniqueness of the performance.

“I thought they performed really well, and I was impressed by how they worked together as a team,” economics freshman Dillon Welliver said. “I thought it was really awesome how they incorporated Indian culture into their songs.”

Share and discuss “​Spartan Sur group mixes popular music with Bollywood music” on social media.