MSU police announce severe weather awareness week beginning April 10

With the possibility of severe weather on Michigan's horizon, the MSU Police Department is announcing its severe weather awareness week, beginning April 10. 

The week was created roughly seven years ago, MSU police Capt. Penny Fischer said and is a way to inform the East Lansing community as well as MSU students about how best to prepare for events such as tornadoes. 

"We're trying to focus people's attention before the severe weather starts gaining momentum," Fischer said. "We want to help give people ideas about how to prepare and take caution." 

As part of the week, MSU police will be conducting a statewide tornado siren test at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 13. If there is inclement weather on that day, the test will be rescheduled for April 14 at 1:30 p.m.

Fischer said the awareness week can especially help international students and out of state students who might not be familiar with the types of severe weather Michigan encounters during spring months.

"We have a global community here so there are a lot of international and other students who have never dealt with a tornado or bad thunderstorms," Fischer said. "Because of that diversity of our student body we need to inform everyone about what they should be doing this time of year."

Students who want more information about tornadoes and severe storms can visit the Department of Homeland Security's website.

Share and discuss “MSU police announce severe weather awareness week beginning April 10” on social media.