Chemical spill reported near power plant on Service Road

Updated Wednesday 3 p.m.

MSU Spokesperson Jason Cody said the cause of the sulfuric acid spill was due to a faulty flange, which is the piece of metal that connects two pipes together. 

The sulfuric acid is kept outside in tanks and is piped into one tank inside the plant. During the process from moving outside to inside, the sulfuric acid spilled out, Cody said. 

Cody said the majority of the spill was contained to the inside of the power plant in containment areas but a small amount — 800 gallons — leaked outside. 

The spill has been completely cleaned up and crews will be inspecting the pipes and the surrounding areas of the plant to make sure all mechanical systems are working properly.

Updated 11:40 a.m.

Capt. Doug Monette of the MSU police provided more details regarding the accident. At approximately 8:30 a.m., a sulfuric acid spill prompted a closing down of Service Road. 

MSU's Environmental Health and Safety and the East Lansing fire department were notified shortly after the spill, which has been contained. The power plant's operations were not affected by the accident.

"There are no injuries," Monette said. "Currently the building is still being evacuated and will be evacuated 'til the clean up has been made."

Monette could not give an estimation on when the clean up would be finished, though MSU spokesperson Jason Cody said that they are working with a private company to clean up leftover radiation and to monitor the air until safe levels return.

MSU Police have issued an alert advising people to avoid Service Road between Harrison and Farm Lane. A road closure has been put into place due to a chemical spill clean-up at the power plant

According to the alert, the spill is contained.

The MSU police department could not be reached for further comment Tuesday morning. 

Share and discuss “Chemical spill reported near power plant on Service Road” on social media.