Books made edible in annual RCAH Center for Poetry contest

"The Very Hungry Caterpillar," a classic children’s picture book by Eric Carle, came to life in the form of a salad on March 31, as a part of the Residential College in Arts and Humanities Center for Poetry’s annual Edible Book Contest.

“This is what RCAH is all about,” professor and director of RCAH Center for Poetry Anita Skeen said. “I look forward to this event every year.”

The edible works of art were entered for judging alongside a slew of other oddities, all related to literature — and usually including a pun — by MSU students, faculty and members of the community. 

Appearances ranged from the Sorting Hat from the Harry Potter series, constructed entirely out of chocolate and Rice Krispies, to the "Velveeta Bunny," constructed entirely out of Velveeta cheese. Eleven pieces were accepted for the final judging.

“The boundless creativity is my favorite thing to see from students at this event,” assistant director for the RCAH Center for Poetry Laurie Hollinger said. “It never ceases to amaze me that ideas don’t ever run out.”

Contestants were judged on five categories — Best in Show, Most Literary, Most Edible, because as not all entrees are, Most Creative and Most Humorous. Winners received a surprise food-related book in each category.

“People do such amazing things,” Carol Cole, judge of the competition this year and administrative assistant to RCAH, said. “I wanted to give everyone an award. They’re all so creative.”

The event, Skeen said, runs in conjunction with the nationwide International Edible Book Festival, which happens on April 1 every year. This year, however, RCAH decided to do it the day before, as a lot of students aren’t around on Fridays. The event also serves as a kick-off to National Poetry Month, which happens every April in the U.S. It is the first of many events to be held by RCAH throughout the following month.

Share and discuss “Books made edible in annual RCAH Center for Poetry contest” on social media.