Security cameras debated as fix to stolen laundry

Often times, students will leave their laundry unattended while the washer or dryer are going, giving a thief the perfect opportunity to steal someone’s clothes.

Having no security cameras in the residence hall laundry rooms makes trying to find the people responsible for the theft even harder.

The university has looked into adding cameras to some capacity. Ashley Chaney, assistant director of communications at MSU Residence Education and Housing Services, REHS, said. But there’s also the issue of privacy in installing equipment, especially something like a video camera.

“(The university) is very selective about where (it has) cameras in the residence halls,” Chaney said. “These are students’ homes.”

There’s also the fact that privacy should be respected, especially in a residence hall. Some students might be unhappy with the fact that there will be footage of them somewhere like the laundry room. But the positives might outweigh the negatives in a case like this.

Some students have expressed no problem with the idea of security cameras, if it means their belongings won’t be stolen. Biophysics junior Charlie Cox is one student who is in favor of the cameras.

“I think anyone with a brain would realize (the camera) is there for security reasons,” Cox said. “Not to spy on other people. I wouldn’t have a problem with it.”

While stolen laundry in dorms isn’t a pressing need, there have been more than a few occasions of such theft occurring. Chaney said just like any other incidents in the residence halls, it’s recommended a student report it to the front desk.

Pili Gyasi, a human biology freshman, has dealt with stolen laundry multiple times. Gyasi said the problem with reporting is that there’s not much that can be done after her clothes were stolen.

In terms of the actual idea of laundry room cameras, Gyasi said she is totally for it.

“I feel like it’s just a laundry room so there should be cameras in there,” Gyasi said. “To have a camera in the laundry room to make sure things don’t get stolen, (the idea) makes sense.”

There is usually Wi-Fi in the basement, so students are advised to do homework while waiting for their laundry to finish. Killing two birds with one stone can be a productive alternative, rather than leaving their belongings unattended.

The university will most likely not look to add security cameras any time soon.

For now, what it comes down to is making sure people are aware of their surroundings. Looking out for other fellow students is also a huge improvement.

“It really goes down to the community and being respectful,” Chaney said. “Most of the cases we have received when items are left unattended for a period of time.”

Share and discuss “Security cameras debated as fix to stolen laundry” on social media.