MSUFCU to open Financial Innovation and Education Center

The MSUFCU Financial Innovation and Education Center, or FIEC, will be located at 309 E. Grand River Ave. in East Lansing between the Curious Book Shop and Tin Can bar.

“One of the main reasons why we actually started the Financial Innovation and Education Center is to start getting great interns ready to work at the credit union,” vice president of sales and financial education Whitney Anderson-Harrell said. “Ultimately, what we’re looking for is to hire all of our interns as full-time employees.”

Anderson-Harrell was appointed to the Executive Board in September 2015. She said 20 interns will be in the first class of the FIEC.

“We’ve had a very robust intern experience at the credit union for several years,” vice president of marketing and communications Deidre Davis said. “We wanted to expand the process.”

Anderson-Harrell said the location was important because the company was looking for a place where students could work easily and conveniently.

“A large percentage of the workforce will be retiring in the next five to ten years and we’re really just trying to get ahead of the curb,” Anderson-Harrell said.

As for their job duties, interns will be working in MSUFCU’s Sales and Financial Education departments, Anderson-Harrell said.

“They’ll also have the opportunity to work in any of the other departments ... they can do job shadows,” Anderson-Harrell said. “They can also apply for positions that are the headquarters building after their first year.”

In addition to the job training and experience, Anderson-Harrell said the interns will also be offered classes.

Davis said the FIEC will also have vice presidents from other departments come and discuss their own duties and give advice.

“They’ll be doing real life work every single day,” Anderson-Harrell said.

Recently, MSUFCU merged with Clarkston Brandon Community Credit Union in Metro Detroit.

“There’s a lot of opportunity to get real world experience,” Anderson-Harrell said. “We really want to show everyone all the different opportunities there are.”

Share and discuss “MSUFCU to open Financial Innovation and Education Center” on social media.