Halftime: MSU leads Purdue in Big Ten title game

Head coach Tom Izzo talks to a referee during the second half of the game on March 12, 2016 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana. The Spartans defeated theTerrapins, 64-61.
Head coach Tom Izzo talks to a referee during the second half of the game on March 12, 2016 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana. The Spartans defeated theTerrapins, 64-61. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

No.2 MSU leads No. 13 Purdue 36-26 at halftime of the Big Ten title game. MSU was led in the first half by senior guard Denzel Valentine with 10 points and senior forward Matt Costello with six points and four rebounds. Purdue was led by senior center A.J. Hammons with six points and five rebounds. 

You could see the fatigue of both teams early as neither team came out shooting the ball well, with MSU shooting just 2-of-10 over the first five minutes with Purdue shooting only 3-of-9 during that stretch as Purdue led early 7-5. Five of MSU's first 10 shots were 3-pointers, with only Valentine making one. 

MSU struggled to get the ball inside early, as MSU scored just six of its first 16 points in the paint and missed several layups as the size and physicality of Purdue disrupted MSU's shots around the rim. 

Trailing 19-16, MSU went on a 20-7 run over the final eight minutes of the half, including a nice layup by senior forward Colby Wollenman, and a 3-pointer by Valentine off an offensive rebound to take a 36-26 lead. 

MSU's defense held Purdue to just one field goal during the run as it suffocated Purdue's offense and did not allow second-chance opportunities. MSU held Purdue to just 33 percent shooting in the first half, including 0-of-7 from behind the 3-point line. 

MSU held its own on the glass in the first half, out-rebounding Purdue 24-16, including grabbing five offensive rebound which led to five second-chance points for MSU. MSU also ended the half having outscored Purdue in the paint, 18-14. 

MSU shot the ball 41 percent in the first half and went 4-of-12 from the 3-point line and 4-of-4 from the free throw line. 

Share and discuss “Halftime: MSU leads Purdue in Big Ten title game” on social media.