MSU head coach Tom Izzo is helping Deyonta Davis decide his future

With the 2015-16 MSU men's basketball season in the books, it is time for players to make tough decisions about their futures with the MSU basketball program. Probably the largest decision looming will be whether or not freshman forward Deyonta Davis stays for his sophomore year or heads off to the NBA.

Izzo said, as far as what way Davis is currently leaning, he doesn't know, but said he will help Davis along the way and make sure Davis is happy with his ultimate decision.

"I am going to assist him, I am going to talk to GMs, talk to his high school coach, his grandmother, and I’m going to talk to (Deyonta Davis), I’m probably going to give him my personal opinion and I’m going to remind everybody that you have to be able to physically," Izzo said. "You have to be ready to go skill-wise, and you have to be ready to go mentally."

Izzo has only had one one-and-done player in his 21-year coaching career, former MSU big man Zach Randolph. Randolph played at MSU for one season in 2000-01, helping MSU to its third consecutive Final Four before departing to the NBA.

Izzo said he takes extra caution now when advising players on whether or not to make an early jump to the NBA because of the number of players who leave early and end up bouncing around the NBA Developmental League, or falling out all together.

"We’re starting to get more numbers on kids that fail," Izzo said. "All I want for Deyonta Davis is for him to be successful."

Izzo said while its good to get players to the NBA, his goal is to make sure the players stick in the NBA and get their second, third and even fourth contracts.

"That’s the ultimate goal and that is what I think is changing in that," Izzo said about having players stick in the NBA. "There are getting to be more guys that are coming out and maybe not ready to come out."

"I would like to do whatever I can do to give Deyonta Davis the best chance to be successful, to be the most equipped to handle the real world. And if that means he comes out tomorrow, I’m 200 percent for it. If that means he stays three years, I’m 200 percent for that. That’s the most honest answer I can give you. But this: What I want most is what’s best for the player. That is a definite."

Share and discuss “MSU head coach Tom Izzo is helping Deyonta Davis decide his future” on social media.