Denzel Valentine becomes first Spartan to win AP National Player of the Year

Senior guard Denzel Valentine during the second half of the game on March 11, 2016 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes 81-54.
Senior guard Denzel Valentine during the second half of the game on March 11, 2016 at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes 81-54. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

The awards continue to roll in for MSU senior guard Denzel Valentine as it was announced Thursday that Valentine has been named the National Player of the Year by the Associated Press. Valentine received 34 of the 65 votes to capture the award which becomes Valentine's sixth player of the year honor for his accomplishments this season. 

Valentine becomes the first MSU player to win the award which has been handed out since 1961. Valentine's win comes on the heels of one of the best individual seasons in college basketball history in which Valentine averaged 19.2 points, 7.5 rebounds and 7.8 assists. Valentine is the first player since assists became a recorded statistic in 1983-84 to record at least 19 points, seven rebounds and seven assists in a season.

"As someone with an appreciation for the history of college basketball, it’s a real honor to be named National Player of the Year by the Associated Press," Valentine said in a press release. "Look at the names of all the great players to win this award dating back to the 1960s – they are some of the game’s all-time greats. To be the first Spartan to ever win this award is extremely humbling.”

Earlier this week Valentine was also named a 2016 first team All-American by The Associated Press

Valentine also became the first Big Ten player to lead the conference in scoring and assists since Iowa's Andre Woolridge did so in 1997. Valentine put his all-around game on display on a night-in, night-out basis, leading the Big Ten with 12 double-doubles this season while adding two triple-doubles early in the season.

Valentine completed his MSU career with 1,645 points, 856 rebounds and 639 assists, becoming the first player in Big Ten history to record 1,300 points, 700 rebounds and 500 assists.

Valentine will also take part in Thursday night's 3-point contest as a part of the State Farm College Slam Dunk and 3-Point Championships which will be shown on ESPN at 9 p.m. 

Share and discuss “Denzel Valentine becomes first Spartan to win AP National Player of the Year” on social media.