COGS passes resolutions to support Flint, Liberate MSU

Resolutions to support those impacted by the Flint water crisis, the family of recently deceased MSU dual doctoral student Max Monroy-Miller and campus activist group Liberate MSU were passed during two meetings in March by MSU’s Council of Graduate Students, or COGS.

On March 23, a resolution was unanimously passed to allocate $1,000 in emergency relief funds to the family of Monroy-Miller, a beloved dual doctoral student who recently died, as well as putting $5,000 towards the creation of a Chicano/Latino Studies scholarship in his name.

“I believe there are few people God sprinkles on Earth, around the world, and their job is to transcend. ... I think that's what Max did for us,” COGS Vice President for External Affairs and geography doctoral student Dee Jordan said.

Also during this meeting, a resolution passed pledging the council’s support of Liberate MSU, an activist group which has staged several protests across campus through the past year.

Jordan, who introduced the resolution, said the legislation to support the group was the latest goal of Monroy-Miller before his sudden passing.

African American and African studies graduate student and Liberate MSU activist AJ Rice spoke on behalf of the group, thanking COGS for its support during last night’s meeting.

“Max’s passion, commitment and life has been based on a long struggle to define and realize the meaning of liberation. … We thank you again for standing in solidarity with students and citizens throughout the world,” Rice said.

Resolutions were also passed providing the Flint Coalition with $1,500 in funding for the purchase of shower filters for 75 Flint residents affected by the recent water crisis, and $2,500 for the establishment of the DREAMers in Higher Education Grant, which will provide application support for undocumented students interested in attending MSU.

In addition to the actions taken, COGS held executive board elections during last night’s meeting, unanimously electing Jordan as next year’s president.

Jordan, already the first black woman to be elected to COGS’ executive board, will also become the first black woman to serve as COGS' president.

Also elected was Chicano/Latino Studies dual doctoral student and representative Christian Ramirez, who will serve as Vice President for External Affairs and will be the first from his department to serve on the board.

Jordan said she believes that COGS’ efforts in the month of March will have a lasting effect at MSU.

"(We passed) legislation that will have an impact over the university for years to come,” Jordan said. "I think that we really want to make sure that things we put forth have lasting impact, a legacy. … So, therefore they continue to hold even when we’re no longer at MSU.”

Share and discuss “COGS passes resolutions to support Flint, Liberate MSU” on social media.