Student with disability hopes for Truman Scholarship

International Relations junior Julia Christensen poses for a portrait at her house on Feb. 19, 2016 in East Lansing, Mich. Christensen has been nominated for a truman scholarship and has had to work extra hard in college after being diagnosed with Lupus at the age of 12.
International Relations junior Julia Christensen poses for a portrait at her house on Feb. 19, 2016 in East Lansing, Mich. Christensen has been nominated for a truman scholarship and has had to work extra hard in college after being diagnosed with Lupus at the age of 12. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

A overactive immune system, the feeling of fatigue and exhaustion.

That is what international relations junior Julia Christensen experiences while going about her every day activities.

Christensen was diagnosed with lupus, a chronic autoimmune disease, which can affect any part of her body at any given time, when she was 12 years old.

Recently, her illness is like a second thought as Christensen has been nominated for the coveted Harry S. Truman Scholarship by MSU.

The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation, a formal memorial to President Truman, is awarded to 55-65 students each year.

Christensen said the scholarship is intended for students who work in public service and intend to pursue a career in it.

She is involved with the Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, and is part of the Council of Students with Disabilities, where she serves as a representative for ASMSU.

MSU submits four candidates to be among the 600 applicants competing for the scholarships.

The other three candidates include astrophysics junior Sara Denbo, human biology junior Austin Martin and social relations and policy junior Rachel Poole.

The award ultimately pays for a graduate program education for the scholars.

Christensen said she decided to apply for the scholarship last summer and has been in the application process since then.

She said the application process is rigorous and a lot like taking on the responsibilities of another class.

"My own experience has shown me how big of a difference it is from having relatively minor accommodations, all things considered, having that support and accommodations I need versus not having them"

Her policy proposal for her application focuses on an inclusive environment and education for students with disabilities.

“My own experience has shown me how big of a difference it is from having relatively minor accommodations, all things considered, having that support and accommodations I need versus not having them,” Christensen said.

Christensen said while there has been progress for preparing classrooms for students with disabilities, separating students with disabilities does no good for the students or community.

“There’s been progress made in converting schools in regions that are already set up specifically for students with disabilities into resource centers,” Christensen said.

She said teachers in mainstream schools are able to come in and learn what an accessible classroom looks like.

She said creating a learning environment for all students with or without disabilities, but with accessibilities, is essential.

“For people with disabilities who want to be educated, who are held back from a good career and opportunities,” Christensen said. “As a result, who are forced to rely on government programs to support themselves is a problem on human rights level, people deserve opportunities.”

Christensen said she specifically chose MSU over other universities because of its disabilities office, the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities.

Christensen said if she is awarded the scholarship she plans to attend Columbia University in New York City.

“To justify all of that, why that degree, why that school ... took a lot of time,” Christensen said.

Share and discuss “Student with disability hopes for Truman Scholarship” on social media.