Princess Lacey's Legacy fundraiser gets help from former MSU athletes

Princess Lacey’s Legacy, or PLL, a charity organization founded in memory of MSU Basketball fan Lacey Holsworth, held its third annual fundraiser at Buffalo Wild Wings from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday.

“What we promised her (Lacey Holsworth) was that we would continue to show her smile and her joy and try to help as many kids as we could,” Matt Holsworth, Lacey’s father, said. “We’re trying to bring the families together, and enhance their family time as well so they don’t have to focus as much on the fear, the unknown.”

Lacey Holsworth, diagnosed with Stage IV Neuroblastoma at age 6, died at age 8 on April 9, 2014.

Princess Lacey's Legacy was created to raise money for others affected by pediatric cancer.

The non-profit focuses on providing "alternate therapies" to children suffering from cancer, such as dance lessons that were given to Lacey, improving quality of life for the children and their families.

PLL provides therapies involving art, sports, music and more.

The event included a crafts table, a photo booth and other activities.

A silent charity auction was also held at the event, featuring a helmet signed by Mark Dantonio, MSU's head football coach, and a basketball signed by Tom Izzo, MSU's head basketball coach.

Other items available at the auction included a date night or a one-on-one basketball session with one of three former MSU basketball players, Travis Trice, Gary Harris or Adreian Payne.

The trio had befriended Lacey Holsworth during her treatments, with Payne and Lacey Holsworth developing a strong relationship.

Payne, Harris and Trice's prizes sold for $350, $375 and $400, with the helmet and basketball going for $1,000 each.

“They still stay in contact from time to time… she touched their lives and they touched ours,” Matt Holsworth said. “Just for them to accept that as part of their lives moving forward and that they haven’t forgotten about her … to have them be a part of it means a ton to my wife (Heather) and I.”

Trice attended the fundraiser as well, taking pictures with fans and supporting the foundation.

“She really got close with my sister (who’s around) the same age as her, Mrs. Holsworth and my mom became very good friends and we’ve been friends ever since then,” Trice said. “I just love the family and I just want to help out however I can.”

This is the first year Trice has been able to attend the fundraiser, but he plans to continue coming in the future.

“This is a great family, they turned something that was a negative into a positive,” Trice said. “Usually if something bad happens to people they might look down on it, but they turned it into helping other people. … This is gonna be something I come back to every year.”

Matt said he's sure Lacey is watching and smiling, very excited about her old friends.

“They absolutely adore Lacey. … For Travis, Gary, and Adreian to volunteer to auction off a date night or one on one basketball with somebody, that just shows that that legacy they had and that friendship will last forever, they’ll always be a part of the Lacey events,” Abby Eiseler, who helped organize the fundraiser, said.

Buffalo Wild Wings donated 20 percent of the day’s sales to PLL.

Corey Warren, owner of East Lansing tatoo business Ink Therapy, provided free henna tattoos and face painting at the event and donated 20% of the proceeds for any appointments booked during the event to PLL.

Warren said he follows MSU basketball and Lacey’s story directly impacted him.

“It’s such an incredible cause, we feel so blessed and honored to even be a part of it,” Warren said. “To be able to be a business owner and now sponsoring an event like this, it’s amazing.”

Eiseler, a friend of the Holsworth family and former employee at Buffalo Wild Wings, helped organize the event.

“Two years ago (when) Lacey was going through treatment … both Abby (Eiseler) and I saw an article about Lacey,” Buffalo Wild Wings General Manager Aaron Weiner said. “The article said something about a fundraiser that raised a couple thousand dollars, and we thought ‘that was great, but we can do a lot more with this spot. ... We thought it would be a really great partnership that we’d be able to do a lot of good with.”

When PLL was set up following Lacey’s passing, Weiner and Eiseler wanted to stay involved.

“We are going to do this every year, as long as the foundation is around we will keep doing ‘Lacey Day’, we look forward to it all year long,” Weiner said.

Share and discuss “Princess Lacey's Legacy fundraiser gets help from former MSU athletes” on social media.