Local phone scams claim to be from Sheriff's Office

<p>East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing Police Department on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

Photo by Courtney Kendler | The State News

Ingham County Sheriff Gene L. Wriggelsworth is warning East Lansing residents and MSU students of another phone scam in which the caller states they are from the Sheriff's Office, according to a press release.

In the past few days, residents have received calls from someone portraying themselves as Lieutenant Dennis Hull or Undersheriff Allan Spyke from the Sheriff's Office stating the caller has missed jury duty and there is a warrant for their arrest.

The only problem is the Ingham County Sheriff's Office does not call people with warrants for their arrest.

According to the release, residents should not send money when requested by phone to people they do not know or have accounts with. Furthermore, these scammers have the ability to use phone apps to disguise their phone numbers and identity in order to perpetrate these scams.

Other recents scams in the area include a Microsoft Tech Support phone scam, in which the scammers attempt to remotely log into the victim's computer to fix a software problem in order to access banking and other personal information, an Internal Revenue Services scam and a scam in which the caller claims to be from the County Clerk's office. 

Any person who receives a call like this should advise the caller they are aware it is a scam and hang up.

Share and discuss “Local phone scams claim to be from Sheriff's Office” on social media.