MSU police report bias incident, property damage

MSU police are reporting an incident involving a possible bias crime related to race. A resident assistant in Gilchrist Hall reported a bulletin board with Martin Luther King Jr. Day information on it had been ripped off the wall Jan. 30. A witness reported seeing an individual holding the board, preparing to throw it down the stairwell and pointed police to the individual's room, where the individual did not come to the door. 

Police investigated the crime as property damage, but upon speaking with an intercultural aide decided to investigate the incident as a possible bias crime because of the content of the bulletin board. The board is valued at $225 and police have two suspects, MSU police Sgt. Paul Kuchek said.

Damage to property

Between 9:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. on Feb. 2 a member of the Emmons Hall staff reported an exit sign hanging from the ceiling. There are no witnesses and the estimated value of the sign is $1,000.

Larceny

An 18-year-old male student reported his bike stolen from the bike racks outside Wilson Hall Jan. 30. The value of the bike was reported as $600.

Damage to property

A resident of Owen Hall was witness to a suspect in Lot 25 who reportedly broke two entrance gates in the parking garage. The suspect reportedly ripped off the gates with his hands and is reported as a white male, 6 feet tall. 

This does not represent every report taken by MSU police. For every incident's time and location, view MSU police's Clery Crime and Fire Log.

For the East Lansing Police Department, visit their crime map.

Share and discuss “MSU police report bias incident, property damage” on social media.