MSU Greenline holds dodgeball tournament to raise money for Flint

Senior supply chain management Reece Adams throws a ballon Feb. 26, 2016 at IM west. The game was a charity event to raise money for the city of Flint.
Senior supply chain management Reece Adams throws a ballon Feb. 26, 2016 at IM west. The game was a charity event to raise money for the city of Flint. —
Photo by Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen | and Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen The State News

MSU Greenline hosted its second annual dodgeball tournament for charity Friday night and the proceeds were dedicated to help pediatric services in Flint. Greenline is a telecommunications marketing organization on campus that works to raise scholarship funds for students.

Greenline's External Philanthropy Manager Michael Gaitan said dodgeball was initially selected a few years ago because it is a “fun sport and anyone can play.” 

Plus, Gaitan added, the donations from the event will benefit a good cause in the MSU Pediatric Public Health Fund.  

What differentiates this cause from other donations to the Flint water crisis is its hands-on nature, Gaitan said.  Rather than arbitrarily donating water to the current situation, Greenline is donating to an organization that will conduct hands-on medical care to the children affected by the lead poisoning.

The turf field at IM Sports-West was filled with Greenline employees and friends who participated and refereed the event along with some spectators. 

Some students valued the camaraderie of the event. Journalism freshman and Greenline employee Hannah Moore said the event is a “great way to bond outside of work for a great cause.”

Moore continued by asserting the most important aspect of the dodgeball tournament was to “raise awareness,” she said. 

“People here don’t just donate," she said. “There is a much more intimate connection to events like these as opposed to arbitrarily donating money and water.” 

The sport of dodgeball itself also draws in students from across campus.

Comparative cultures and policy senior Cameryn Shepich said dodgeball is tantalizing to students because it is a rather “unorthodox sport.” Shepich was a referee during the game and chose to do so because he had been a participant in the dodgeball event previously and thought he would give officiating a try.

Shepich also noted the most important aspect of the event was the aid going to the Flint area. MSU Greenline came together and decided through “collective action” that the organization needed to devote its fundraising event to this issue.

“Flint really needs the aid,” he said. 

Shepich also praised the MSU Pediatric Public Health Fund as applying practical aid to the Flint crisis. This “non-tangible” help to Flint is outstanding and will physically help them with their afflictions caused by the water, he said.

In total, Gaitan said the event raised approximately $1,400 and hosted approximately 115 people.

A previous version of this story misidentified Michael Gaitan as the Director of Greenline. The story has been updated to reflect his correct title of External Philanthropy Manager. 

Share and discuss “MSU Greenline holds dodgeball tournament to raise money for Flint” on social media.