MSU journalism professor publishes adult coloring book

<p>The cover of Nude by Karl Gude is shown. Courtesy of Karl Gude&nbsp;</p>

The cover of Nude by Karl Gude is shown. Courtesy of Karl Gude 

Adult coloring books have become a new trend in popular culture, a way to escape like children do, but the books rarely venture outside of mosaic style.

MSU journalism professor Karl Gude took a more unique path when he decided to enter the coloring book world — his muse being the human body. 

Gude's book is made up of nude drawings, done by himself, with intricate backgrounds. 

"I started looking at all the coloring books out there, and they're all kind of boring," Gude said.

Gude said he first got the idea to create his coloring book when he noticed the increase in coloring book culture, which was brought up to him by his father-in-law.

"There are a lot of frustrated Michelangelo's who would like to draw, shape the human body," he said, "They want to draw a scene."

Gude said he had been creating nude drawings for years, and three past models who came to his studio are represented in the book.

"I'm not shying away from any part of the human body," Gude said. 

Gude said regardless of what your body looks like, there is beauty in its features.

"There a lot of people who don't think we should be ashamed of the human body at all," Gude said. "We just don't see that stuff every day in America."

Gude said the coloring book exemplifies the importance of body positivity. 

"Think body positive," Gude said. "There's nothing to be ashamed of about the human body."

More than 450 of Gude's coloring books have been sold through Amazon's CreateSpace.

Gude said he hopes a bigger publisher comes across his book and makes it available on a larger platform. He also said coloring books have become more popular because people use them to reduce stress.

"It turns out that this coloring book thing is extremely successful for reducing anxiety," Gude said. 

Gude said he finds himself coloring in his own book and others, in addition to his wife participating as well. He said the coloring books put people in a meditative state so they can escape from their problems and relax.

"It's so mind freeing," Gude said. "You just feel so relaxed when you're doing it."

He has already started to brainstorm a second coloring book that will focus on what is described as "real" female bodies.

Share and discuss “MSU journalism professor publishes adult coloring book” on social media.