Fourth suspect in 2015 assault on MSU student in Spartan Village pleads guilty

Detroit resident Brittani Barber-Gribble, left, and her attorney Kareem Johnson listen to the judge on Feb. 16, 2016 at the Ingham County Probate Court in Lansing. Barber-Gribble is the last of five women to plead guilty to  their individual roles in the assault against Ryah Kelly in Spartan Village last March.
Detroit resident Brittani Barber-Gribble, left, and her attorney Kareem Johnson listen to the judge on Feb. 16, 2016 at the Ingham County Probate Court in Lansing. Barber-Gribble is the last of five women to plead guilty to their individual roles in the assault against Ryah Kelly in Spartan Village last March. —
Photo by Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen | and Kelly vanFrankenhuyzen The State News

Brittani Barber-Gribble, a 20-year-old Detroit resident, pleaded guilty Tuesday morning to two felony counts for her role in assaulting an MSU student in Spartan Village in March of 2015 — the fourth of five Detroit women to do so. 

The two counts — conspiracy to commit assault and do great bodily harm less than murder and assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder — each carry a maximum of 10 years in jail and $5,000 in fines.

Barber-Gribble said she allowed the co-defendants to use her car to drive to East Lansing where they assaulted the victim, Ryah Kelly, with a baseball bat and pepper spray in the Spartan Village parking lot.

Barber Gribble said she did not participate in the assault, but did nothing to stop it. She also said Tierra Hubbard, a co-defendant, used a baseball bat that was in her car to assault Kelly.

A sentence agreement was reached between the prosecuting attorney and defense attorney for three years probation, which Judge Rosemarie E. Aquilina will decide on in March at Barber-Gribble’s sentencing hearing.

“Based on her involvement in the assault, this is a fair proposal for sentencing,” Ingham County prosecuting attorney Kim Hesse said during the hearing.

Barber-Gribble’s sentencing hearing is scheduled for March 23 at 11 a.m. at the Ingham County Circuit Court. 

Share and discuss “Fourth suspect in 2015 assault on MSU student in Spartan Village pleads guilty” on social media.