Chinese Undergraduate Students Association to host spring festival Sunday

The MSU Chinese Undergraduate Students Association, or CUSA, is teaming up with the Wharton Center to host the 2016 Spring Festival Gala at 6 p.m. Sunday at Cobb Great Hall. The gala, planned and performed by MSU students, is modeled after China Central Television's, CCTV, annual Chinese New Year program of the same name. With more than 700 million viewers tuning in every year, the gala is one of the world’s most watched television programs.

“We do the Spring Festival Gala to celebrate the traditional Chinese New Year, which is the Lunar New Year, every year,” Jiexiong “Jason” Qin, CUSA president and supply chain management junior, said. “Each year we have different programs, different shows.”

The gala is a variety show consisting of many different kinds of performance art and CUSA’s version will feature music, singing, comedy and different types of dance. CUSA has held their own gala at MSU every year since 2009, bringing many international students a slice of home and a chance to reconnect with their culture.

“In China the Spring Festival is as important as Christmas in America,” Zimo Wang, CUSA member, director of the event and journalism freshman said. “It’s a big thing where we can celebrate with our family, but because we’re here, CUSA is trying to provide … something similar to that. We’re trying to get as close as possible to the original one.”

All MSU students are welcome to attend. English subtitles will be provided and the host will speak both languages. Tickets are available online or at the door and are $10 with student ID.

“I think it’s very important,” music education sophomore Elizabeth Medlin said.

Medlin, an American student, plans on attending the gala.

“I know that we have a very large international student population, and these sort of things not only helps them feel at home, but it helps give us in America a look into foreign cultures and gives an understanding of (our) fellow international students,” Medlin said.

Share and discuss “Chinese Undergraduate Students Association to host spring festival Sunday ” on social media.